4.0 out of 5 stars A woman's adventure across Australia

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable
Published on 9 Sep 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars A woman's adventure across Australia, 23 Aug 2012
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
The first part of Tracks is spent getting to know Robyn and her desires for this trip. She starts out in a small place called Alice Springs where she learns everything she needs to know before setting out on her journey. It was really refreshing to learn about such a small place in Australia and also how the people there different from those in large cities and towns. This is where Robyn learns how to care for camels, which are one of the largest parts of her trip, and how to look after herself out in the open. The characters that she meets both help and hinder her education.

Not only do you really get to know Robyn and her beliefs but also her camels. I know how strange that might sound but they really have their own personalities and stand out so much from one another. Robyn's relationships with her camels was one of the best aspects of this book for me. After spending so long learning how to care for a camel, how to treat injuries and how to make them work for her instead of against her, these animals were like main characters to me. Their antics made for some funny reading but there are also some quite tense moments with them at the same time.

When I first started reading this book, I imagined there would be quite a lot of boring parts where nothing much happened. As this adventure was trekking across the desert, I figured that this would take up most of the book. It doesn't. I was thankful to Robyn for not writing about these long, boring times where all she did really was walk. I know that this was a big part of her trip and she would have crossed a lot of miles doing just this but it doesn't exactly make for exciting reading. However, there were of course times where some of this is written about but only when something important happened.

Tracks gives a very unique stance on Aboriginals in Australia. Robyn states early on that she really doesn't know too much about their lifestyle but in Alice Springs, she gets a clear view of how white men see things. It was definitely eye-opening to learn about this different way of life and how so many people were against them. Reading about the way that Aboriginals were treated by white people was actually really shocking. Everyone has the right to live in a way that they see fit and these people were judged and bullied because of their beliefs. Robyn actually spends some time with different tribes along the way and her perceptions of people were changed dramatically after experiencing their way of life.

Tracks was a fantastic book and a great introduction to travel writing. I love travelling myself so to read about other people's adventures is pretty perfect for me. I can't wait to see what other books like this I get to read this year and to see if I like them as much as this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable, 9 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
I read the book in 3 days. It was excellent to start off with as you follow Robyn training camels. Also her account of life in Alice springs seemed realistic and down to earth. I was disappointed with how the book ended however. I thought she could have gone on to talk about how she readjusted back into 'ordinary' life, and I didn't really understand the relationship she had with the photographer(perhaps she didn't understand it either!!).If he was as irritating as she said she should have dumped him and continued the trip alone as planned. Nevertheless, this intelligent woman was brave and adventurous. It is a good bedside read but it didn't leave me 'on a high' like some books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the movie, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
An amazing tale by a remarkable person about an unbelievable achievement. I read this while I was in Australia in some of the locations about which she writes and I really felt I was on her journey with her, so good were her descriptions of people, animals and places.

5.0 out of 5 stars Camels, 30 April 2014
Dr. H. A. Cowie (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tracks (Kindle Edition)
I did not believe that I could become so involved in the personalities of camels. How courageous Robyn was on her journey and her writing vividly captures the pain and suffering as well as the elation that she went thorugh on this journey of self-discovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible woman, 6 Oct 2014
This review is from: Tracks (Kindle Edition)
Robyn Davidson’s epic trail across the Australian Outback had started out as a personal journey for her and no one else, unfortunately, perhaps, for her but thankfully, for everyone else it has become know to millions of people.

What she did was and still is remarkable and her telling of it in Tracks is done with prose that had me keen to know what was going to happen next. I bough (the kindle version of) the book because I had ordered the DVD “Tracks” and thought I would read the book first and then watch the DVD second. I think that was possibly the wrong way round as the book has so much more to offer. It has great prose and is very informative in its description of Australia and its attitudes circa the 1970’s.

I would highly recommend the book – an incredible story from an incredible woman.

The kindle version has some photographs that were taken at the time and a new Postscript.

5.0 out of 5 stars thanks to the daily telegraph, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
read an article in the above the other saturday re the above (there is a film soon) & although we tend toward mountains this is a good read

5.0 out of 5 stars Not all those who wander are lost, 11 Dec 2014
J. Davies (Bristol, Avon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
This book came into my life at exactly the right time. It seemed as though every word that Davidson wrote was intended just for me. Her journey was absolutely incredible and the feeling of frustration that it had been hijacked by the media and, in part, by the National Geographic, was palpable. She was looking to find herself in peace and solitude and, instead, became an unwitting player in a media circus that she resented. It is a book for the lost, for those who are uncertain about their path ahead and who feel as though they are alone, as I felt when I read this. Her book reinvigorated me and I felt as though I was standing with her at the end of her journey, the water around my calves as she bade goodbye to her camels as well.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Read it. Please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make time to read this book, 9 Sep 2014
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
An absolutely brilliant book. Easy to read, infact I wanted to read it in one day but as life is, I read it after work, sat in my garden with my cat trying to rub her face on the book to get some attention as I was so engrossed in reading!

Robyn is an amazing person and truly describes the good and the bad times she went through to live her dream. No need to write paragraph after paragraph - just read it and you'll find out for yourself. Happy days...

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 30 Oct 2014
This review is from: Tracks (Kindle Edition)
Terrible. Ended up really disliking the author. She allowed her camels to be castrated without any anesthetic. Horrific.

5.0 out of 5 stars an amazing account of one womans jorney, 18 Feb 2004
Sally Barsby (Epsom, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
I am writing this several months after reading it and I can still remember the emotion I felt when I read it. It is a truly outstanding book. I originally got the book as I am interested in animal stories, although this is about animals it is more about one womans goal and how much she goes through to reach her destination, both literally and emotionally. Though out this story I was crying and laughing as she carried me along the trail with her.

Tracks
Tracks by Robyn Davidson (Hardcover - Oct 1980)
Used & New from: £10.95