on 26 November 2009
I had a very fond memory of reading this when I was a small girl - it is a very naive and unrealistic story but it must have had a certain charm at that time for me to remember it with such affection - but, many years later, I know it was a mistake to read it again.

The big problem now, however, is the appallingly low quality of this privately re-issued paperback. Nobody had even bothered to proof-read it before it was printed and constant lazy errors littered every page - in almost every sentence! There was even a spelling mistake in the blurb on the back cover.

The illustrations were crude and unnecessary, too.

If you are thinking of buying this, be aware that it is a rip-off and an insult to the innocent buyer to have to pay what is an extortionate amount for such a cheaply made, badly-printed product.

All involved should be ashamed of themselves.
88 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2010
Just a short post as I've not actually read this version yet, how ever the editor Christopher Posner (ebay user name cposner) is selling the corrected version (correction from the 2009 version)is now selling this on ebay - sorry to spam Amazon like this but if fans are anywhere as keen as I am to get hold of the "proper" version of this book then they'll not care ;)

I'll post a review as soon as I've read it and let you folks know results.

@ Amazon, perhaps you should contact Mr. Posner to get the updated version. :)
on 27 March 2008
Like the previous reviewer, I read The Green Bronze Mirror as a child and it captivated me. I still have one or two favorites from that time, but have lost this and would love to find a copy. It's up there with the Narnia books and Green Knowe on my best-loved list.
on 11 February 2016
Karen is just 15 when she takes a walk by the seaside and finds, as the title implies, a Green Bronze Mirror. She looks into it and is transported 2,000 years in the past to Roman Britain, close yet so far from home. She is sold to slavery and travels all the way to Rome under Emperor Nero's reign. Soon there is a great fire that consumes almost all of Rome and Karen and her new found friends must go back to Britain and get to the 20th Century.

Personally, I think this book is very exciting and a very worth while read. It really gives an insight on the horrors of life 2,000 years ago such as slavery, vicious Colosseum battles and executions. I am also personally not a big fan of fantasy but this book actually did it in a way I liked.

It is also quite amazing that this book was written by someone aged just fifteen. There are a couple of grammatical mistakes but over all it is a really good book. I would recommend reading it, especially if you are interested in Roman history. As opposed to a textbook, this really helps you think about what they might have thought, believed and acted in Roman times.
on 12 July 2003
I read this book as a child I am not entirely sure of all the content but remember the insight tha it gave me into Roman Life And I would like to track down a copy if possible
on 27 January 2012
Bought this book for my wife, who had been wanting a copy for a while now. When searching, I saw there were several advertised as either used or proof reading versions. As we thought this might be a good one for the grandkids, we went for one that appeared to be a proof-read and published edition. Sadly the book was full of smelling errors and gra mat ical mistakes. Punctuationwasmissingandtherewereno gaps insomesentences. My wife is dyslexic and thought it was her! Fortunately it wasn't! Read other reviews carefully and decide if it is still worth the money!
on 19 August 2010
This little book is a curiosity, as it was written by a child. The premise of the story is the simple old-object-transports-you-through-time idea. i like these modern person explores old worlds tales and the Romans are a rich source of material.

The problem with this story is the necessarily limited child's knowledge of human nature. The girl meets with many people who are amazingly nice or tolerant of her and no great misfortune or hurt comes to her, even though she is sold several times. i don't think she would have much idea of what could have actually happened to a young girl in a much more brutal world.

That said, i quite enjoyed the story, inspite of the far too many mistakes in printing of this tale. i found it distracting and annoying and the book badly needs to be edited properly yet again.

If you can get a copy in your Library or borrow it from a friend, please do and don't waste your money buying one.
on 22 May 2010
I loved this book as a child and have been searching for a copy ever since my mother gave mine (accidently) to a charity shop. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it had been reissued but was disappointed when my copy arrived. It was littered with mistakes and came with a large sheet of Errata. There were so many mistakes that it completely spoiled the flow of the story and I fail to see how it came to be published in this condition. Do Editors and Proof Readers no longer exist? Instead of employing an Illustrator (sorry Philip Smiley)for the new edition, which adds nothing to the story, they should have paid for someone to type and/or read it properly.

It's still a good story though.
on 11 August 2008
I had this book as a child and it captivated me, I would love a copy if anyone has one, to recreate that magic...I wait in hope!
on 10 May 2015