4.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy more books than you need to!
I notice that a lot of people who buy this book also buy Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion (Amazon have an offer on the pair). Well, I haven't read that book but I did notice the following comment in the FAQ section of Cialdini's own website (influenceatwork.com):

Published on 4 Dec 2008 by GG

3.0 out of 5 stars Have to read for college.
has not lit any fires inside me yet, yawn, yawn yawn and yawn, If you have to buy buy it get it as cheaply as possible.
Published 20 months ago by hez07

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy more books than you need to!, 4 Dec 2008
GG (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Influence: Science and Practice (Paperback)

On the question: "What's the difference between Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion and Influence: Science and Practice?", the basic answer from Cialdini is that Science and Practice is an updated book and "generally... a more complete discussion of the topic. We do not recommend purchasing both books." His words, not mine, but I hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone, 10 Dec 2009
This review is from: Influence: Science and Practice (Paperback)
This isn't a 'how to' book, but a 'why' book. It explains aspects of normal human behaviour that if understood can be used to influence people to your way of thinking and or to act in accordance with your wishes (e.g. buy your product) with surprisingly powerful results. Whilst the book contains some marketing illustrations, it is mostly an academic book referencing all the various scientific experiments that have led to the conclusions presented. It looks far more daunting to read that it really is, and like a good novel it grabs your attention to want to read more. Not only does Cialdini explain the ways in which influence can be and is exerted, he advises how to avoid becoming a victim of others using these techniques on you, a life skill worth having for anyone. As a marketer it leaves me wanting more, to know how to apply these in a practical way. Some of his other books do this better, but for those who like to understand why things work rather than just how to do them, then this is a excellent starting point to a whole new way of thinking not only about marketing but how you personally can benefit from knowing and applying these techniques in day to day life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly brilliant, 8 Aug 2011
This review is from: Influence: Science and Practice (Paperback)
This book has been around for years with regular updates. Cialdini shows you a lot of the nuts and bolts of influence and persuasion. Hey, I am not sure I want ANYONE to read it!!! Powerful and fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Daddy of Influencing Books, 11 Nov 2010
This review is from: Influence: Science and Practice (Paperback)
There are few books I find myself recommending in almost all areas of my professional life - and to friends. This is one. I have long been interested in the science of influence and have trained, spoken and written on the subject for nine years. When I first read this it blew me away. Cialdini is a real authority. He won't sell you slimy, cuddly or new age ideas; all of this book is fully researched by serious scientists and drawn from peer-reviewed journals. What really marks it out for me is his ability to take research and turn it into compelling storys. This book is also a good read. I re-read this, along with a lot of other, newer books when researching my own Brilliant Influence: What the Most Influential People Know, Do and Say and this stood up as my most important textual influence. Buy it, and more important; read it! Don't let this sit with the other books you've been meaning to get around to.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will Influence your life, 22 Nov 2009
This review is from: Influence: Science and Practice (Paperback)
Brilliant book, I rarely give top ratting to a book, but this one greatly deserves it.

It unveils fascinating realities that you experience everyday but cannot see them as they are, this is a mind changing book, it changes the way you perceive society.

The questions at the end of each chapter makes you think of the issues just discussed, and by doing that you will never forget about the subject.

Top recommended, everyone MUST read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational & engaging, 16 Oct 2009
Rob Cameron (Warwickshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Influence: Science and Practice (Paperback)
This book is very interesting and informative. It has sufficient academic reference to give authority and credibility, but is written in a more engaging voice than I have experienced from academic books in the past. To add to the academic studies there are numerous observations and real life examples to support. While reading it I was able to relate experiences of my own to the topics covered and recognise how easily it is to act automatically in certain situations where the 'click-whirr' response kicks in. I would heartily recommend this book to any one who wants to better understand how techniques are used to influence or gain compliance."

5.0 out of 5 stars Frighteningly Insightful, 2 Jan 2009
Tariq Mahmood (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Influence: Science and Practice (Paperback)
This book is an amazing story of how humans get "hooked in". This is a must read for budding sales people and experienced sales people alike. It will truly change your perspective and make you better at what you do. I never would have thought, before reading this book, that social psychology was a science. I was totally immersed in the book from start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Influence, 18 Dec 2012
This review is from: Influence: Science and Practice (Paperback)
I am a plumber but if I were a salesman using this book as my guide book I would be # 1.

5.0 out of 5 stars ready to learn some tricks?, 25 Jan 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Influence: Science and Practice (Paperback)
This is a very good book! If you are into marketcommunications and/or arvertising this book about persuasion and easy tricks.. I've read it twice now - just for the fun of it.. And I'm normally not that kind of a person that reads books twice! Try this:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Dec 2014
great thanks

Influence: Science and Practice
Influence: Science and Practice by Robert B. Cialdini (Paperback - 15 Aug 2008)
Used & New from: £17.14