5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent concise exercises for new/aspiring writers, 18 Jan. 1997
By A Customer
These authors teach creative writing and use the results of their classroom curriculum to our benefit. The exercise introduction is by the authors or invited contributors. Each topic contains ample, clear examples to consider before attempting the exercises.
The authors provide concise, succinct instructions, and more importantly, the reasons for each exercise. They also suggest expected outcomes as a result of each exercise's completion. They use student submissions (with permission from the students) to show typical exercise results.
I find this book in tune with my desire to write good fiction and my current writing skill level. I have found the book very useful. I have incorporated several exercises in my daily writing.
I recommend this book to those who do not have easy access
to classroom Creative Writing course work.
Reviewer: David Haseman

5.0 out of 5 stars The best exercise book I've found, 30 April 1999
By A Customer
I've done a lot of reading on writing fiction, and this is by far one of the best. While other books talk about how to go about writing, this one gives you exercises designed to guide you to putting those ideas into practice. It's guarenteed to improve your writing! My writing group has used it for about a year and the members love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent : useful chapters in bite sized pieces!, 2 May 1999
By A Customer
The great thing about this book is that the chapters are so short and give you exercises to do right now without a lot of prerequisite preparation. I have written a few stories just based on the exercises. They unearth valuable memories that can be used to enliven stories.
The authors also point out that *everybody's* life is printworthy. If you take the time to remember the large tangle of interesting experiences you've had, many can be used in fiction.

What If? Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers
What If? Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers by Pamela Painter (Paperback - 19 Aug. 2009)