1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 4 Oct 2003
This review is from: History of the Theatre (Hardcover)
I originally bought this book because it was on my booklist at uni and I felt that I ought to buy one general reference book, so having bought it it actually spent a long time sat on my book shelf completely unused! However, in a moment of boredemn one day I picked it up and started to flick through it and found that I was absolutely engrossed!
Brockett covers all aspects of theatre from all ages. He concentrates mostly on European and American drama, which for me as a drama student is great because those are the areas that we are most likely to cover, but there are also charters covering different theatre styes from different continents!
Each chapter is spilt up into subsections, which is especially useful if you are looking for a specific piece of information and at the end of each chapter there is a half page summary about what the chapter contains and how this relates to theatre history as a whole, great if you've been told to research a subject and don't have time to read a whole chapter!
Finally, theatre teachers and lecturers love Brockett, so if you put this in your bibliography and quote it on a regualr basis then your lecturer will probably love you forever!

History of the Theatre
History of the Theatre by Franklin J. Hildy (Hardcover - 14 July 1998)
Used & New from: 6.62