5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book.
Published on 6 Mar 2004 by S. Hartley

2.0 out of 5 stars apropriate for high school newspaper
Published on 17 Nov 2004 by create_orange

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book., 6 Mar 2004
S. Hartley "stephaniehartley2" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before and After Page Design (Paperback)
I can heartily recommend this book to anyone interested or working in graphic design. I have had to either sell or return several design books as they lacked any real substance or depth to their authors skills or opinions in design. This book helps describe what it is that actually makes a page "work". I have a subscription to the magazine but suggest buying the book, it has all the best bits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Page design - what you need to know, 4 Nov 2007
This review is from: Before and After Page Design (Paperback)
This book is a short cut to page design. Often we may look at something and know it's not really that good, or perhaps we think that something is pretty mediocre and could be made far better. This book shows us how to design well using straightforward principles. It shows us how to take those layouts that have no punch and improve them.

The book does exactly what it says on the front page. Well worth buying.

2.0 out of 5 stars apropriate for high school newspaper, 17 Nov 2004
This review is from: Before and After Page Design (Paperback)
I expected pretty much of the book, so I was quite disappointed. The advices will not be useful to anyone, who already has a little expperience in graphic design or, a little talent and taste. They may be useful however for school children preparing their class newspaper. Kind of - you can draw a line or a circle are quite a pathetic hints. Also, the examples shown do not inspire. They seem to date in late eighties, and seem to have their origins in the conservative parts of the US. Besides, the author tends to give you the one and only way to prepare a page, not inspirations but templates, including exact margin widths and so. do not buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great design layout book, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Before and After Page Design (Paperback)
This book is very handy for the layout guidelines.

I got this book from library, and fell in love. Just had to have it on my table when thinking about layouts and design of brochures, business cards, composition.

It's like a little encyclopaedia of page design which I highly recommend

Before and After Page Design
Before and After Page Design by John McWade (Paperback - 10 Dec 2003)
Used & New from: £15.69