Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 October 2002
This book ranks as one of my all-time best technical books! Its wonderfully well presented - plenty of illustrations and photos, and is written in a jargon free manner (infact its almost like a novel!)
The book covers all the DESIGN aspects of creating web sites and gives plenty of insight into HOW to build them. If you are a techie-head and want to know all the coding tricks, then forget it - this ISNT the book for you. If you have any kind of flair for design or even just an appreciation of what makes a GOOD web site AND you can handle technological explanations (not heavy code!!), then this IS the book for you.
Its glossy, its easy to read and packed with examples. If you want to know what makes a GOOD web site then you MUST buy this book.
PS. Another good choice is "Web Design, Tools and Techniques" by Peter Kentie. It however is a bit more 'application' oriented and less 'design-y'
on 2 August 2002
Robin's book must rank as one of the best I have ever read on web site design. It is beautifully presented and written with humour. I have been designing web sites for the last four years, entirely self taught and thought I was doing pretty well until I read this book! I have learnt more from reading this book cover to cover in the last 48 hours (I couldn't put it down), than through my previous laborious and amateurish efforts!

One of the best sections for me personally, were the Chapters on dealing with clients and using freelance services to assist with some of the more techie stuff. I have been attempting to do all this myself, mistakenly assuming that as an aspiring web site designer, I should be able to write all the various programming languages!

My one and only critisism is the last chapter, which is a virtual chapter and put on the web. The purpose of this is to enable the reader to actually view all the animated effects, flash, etc. Only having a 56K modem with no immediate hope of broadband for a while yet, I would have preferred this to have been included on CD with the book. However, this is a minor gripe and I fully appreciate the reasoning behind the author's decision.

Overall the book, has given me the confidence and know how to design and produce web sites with more professionalism, both aesthetically and from a business perpective. I have now purchased a second copy to give to my daughter who is just beginning a Dreamweaver course......
on 27 December 2001
I'd never heard of Robin Williams before being given this book as a gift. I now want to read ALL her books! It's very down to earth and though there is quite a bit of technical stuff in there, it never talks down to you. There are lots of illustrations and is written with a sense of humour. I would recommend this book as a good place to start for anyone wishing to know more about web design! The book is good value and there is also an accompanying website with LOTS more information... Excellent stuff.
on 20 November 2007
This is a very good book, but some of the techniques are now out of date. Not really for anyone who has been designing for any period of time. If you're just starting out and want to learn all the basics, then you will find this useful. It covers all aspects of web design.

The book would get 4-5 stars, but like I said, a little dated now.
on 17 April 2012
i have two of robin williams' other books in design as i wanted to build my skills from the ground up and this was a good addition. i have made several changes to our websites and am reaping the benefits now. she makes you think about the little things in design which helps a lot.
on 1 June 2014
Have just picked up a second hand copy for £10 and enjoying it immensely. Although it seriously needs updating to reflect current computing and software, there is still so much relevant knowledge to be gleaned from this excellently written and presented tome. Would be five stars if up to date.
on 17 May 2014
Given how fast technology progresses,this book was published 2002. I bought it hoping to provide a creative graphic designer with technical knowledge of website design.