5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to learn good technique quickly
Published on 21 Jun. 2003 by Rebecca Fryer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but get the slightly more complicated one!
This book is good for your basic start in PHP. I've pretty much worked through it and found it to be well explained and easy to follow. For this I recommend it.
Published on 21 April 2004 by bunjiquo

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but get the slightly more complicated one!, 21 April 2004
This review is from: PHP for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides) (Paperback)
However, on the introduction of PHP4.1 the register_globals command is set to off as default. This means that if your server is running PHP4.1 or later with a default setup most of the example scripts featured in the book will need a small amount of modification before you can run them.
This book is a solid intro on PHP and the changes to the scripts needed to get them up and running are minimal. But, I would suggest getting 'PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Websites' by the same author and publisher as it covers all the topics in this book (and more), has the updated globals handling for PHP4.1 and covers MySQL. It isn't even that much more expensive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to learn good technique quickly, 21 Jun. 2003
Rebecca Fryer (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
I wasn't at first looking to break into PHP programming on a big scale, just to look into it and see what I could pick up and use for my website plus to help out with some coding for the LotR Forums who run a RPG game that benefits from a PHP Battle Calculator. However, what I picked up from the Visual Quick Start book more than whetted my appetite to learn more about the versatile PHP language. I was surprised just how good this book was at reducing the usually steep learning curve for any programming language and found myself coding within such a short time. It does suffer a little from being a bit of a cookbook for recipe functions so it helps to have had some experience at programming to help you break down the code and adapt it to your own needs, but saying that they do go to lengths to show you stage by stage break downs of the code, so that helps a lot. Now I'm eager to find a more advanced PHP book to supplement this book that really lives up to the title of being both 'visual' and a 'quickstart' into PHP programming. A definite 'must have' for anyone looking to start coding in this language.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Primer for PHP, 3 Aug. 2001
I found this book excellent - a very easy to read book, well illustrated with examples.
I recently had to spend a weekend in hospital, just before my first PHP project. This book was my reading matter, and even though I didn't have access to a computer, I was able to follow the commentary and illustrations just as if I was in front of a keyboard.
I can honestly say that I learnt and understood the basics of PHP from this book alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars quickstart by name and nature, 27 Mar. 2004
By A Customer
I needed a PHP text to help me with an intensive 1 week ecommerce module on my MSc. The second edition is recently published and up to date. I found I could quickly work through the basics in a weekend as pre-course reading and from knowing nothing was able to build a working database backed site in a week with my student colleagues. It seems easy to find what you are looking for in the book and the images help you see what the output should look like. It is definitely a beginners book assuming no prior programming experience. The author has a website with (not too many) errata already and a forum that he does respond to. There does seem to be some needless steps repeated in every example script i.e. step 1 is always create your document, step 2 insert error handler. Just a shame one or two chapters from the author's other books could not have been included e.g. on ecommerce. However I was pleased with the book - it got me quickly up to speed, helped me on my course and serves as a useful reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good beginners PHP book, 29 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
A good book to get if your just getting into PHP scripting. All the scripts are there on the page as they should appear in your text editor, and are also available from the books companion web site. I found it very easy to work through in only a few days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the cover, 8 Jan. 2003
A good introduction if you want to learn PHP quickly. Like other Visual Quickstart guides in the series it is well written and has an excellent layout which lends itself to rapid learning of the basics. The book covers fundamental syntax and commands aswell as installation/configuration and also has a chapter on using mysql databases with PHP. Of course if you want a more detailed and thorough PHP book you should definately look elsewhere, but if you don't have much time or just want to get stuck in then this is the book to go for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 28 Jan. 2004
I originally had a couple of other PHP books before buying this one and found them difficult to relate to as to what they were trying to tell me. Since reading this book I have found coding alot easier due to the fact that the visual interpretations of the code make more sense. A fantastic buy for beginners starting out in PHP.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 6 April 2006
By A Customer
Before buying this book, my knowledge of php was fairly limited. I knew bits and bobs from scripts i've played with in the past and wanted to take it a step further and start getting good at it.
This book has helped to patch things together and I now feel much more confident to move on to a more advanced book. It is very easy to read and I like the way the scripts have been formatted in the book, with two copies of any script being explained; one full script (which is good for quick reference later in time) and then a step-by-step explanation of building the script which explains the reasoning for each part.
As others have mentioned, it's not the most advanced of books, but, if like me you have patchy knowledge, I recommend this as it will fill those gaps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasic Book, 5 Oct. 2005
By A Customer
This PHP book is an excellent book especially for beginners. The code is seperate from the main body of text so it is easy to find, as well the code is explained step-by-step so that it is easy to understand.
When I first picked up this book and started reading it, I could not put it down and had to do all the exercises in the book. This is a very good book for basic understanding, and gets you to a level where you can start creating your own functions.
The only downside is that you need to buy the 'PHP Advanced quickpro' to be able to get to intermediate standard. Though it does not matter.
To sum it up, this is a good book for a beginner and also is good for reference. I would recomend this book to anyone who is interested in learning PHP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Invaluable, 29 July 2006
A. Johnson "amjohnno" (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
I must admit that I had written basic php applications before buying this book. However I have no idea how I managed to write them with the little knowledge I possessed! I've read a great deal of php books in the past where I learned very little from a vast amount of reading. This was the complete opposite, and I couldn't believe how it turned my programming around. From start to finish, it teaches the essentials in an easy to read and easy to understand format without leaving out things you really do need to know.

For those looking for something advanced, this obviously isn't going to be for you, but if you're just starting out, or you've just dabbled in php before, this is absolutely the number one book out there.

PHP for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides)
PHP for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides) by Larry Ullman (Paperback - 29 Mar. 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01