4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely NOT for beginners
A number of people who have submitted reviews on this book seem to be missing the point. This is NOT a 'Teach Yourself' book, it's a reference work. If you need a book that covers every aspect of C++ in detail, this is the one to go for. It is written by the man who created C++ after all. If you don't know C++ and want a book to learn from, try elsewhere!
Published on 15 Feb. 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars High on technical definition, low on real-life examples
An adequate reference book if you already know C++, but totally unsuited to a beginner or a C programmer. It has plenty of in-depth descriptions of obtuse syntax and implementation-dependent details, but it doesn't tell you, for example, how to typedef an array (although it asks you to in one of the exercises).
While we're on the subject of exercises, no answers...
Published on 12 May 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars The world needs more books like this, 10 Aug. 2001
This review is from: The C++ Programming Language, Special Edition (Hardcover)
As the other readers have pointed out, this is not a book from which to learn C++. I did learn on the 1st Ed. and consider it a shame that that was put out of print by a book doing a quite different job...That said, this book is a good read for experienced developers who want to get the most of the STL particularly. If you find it heavy going to begin with, keep at and suddenly a light will come on and everything suddenly makes sense. The world needs more books like this. There's too much written for novice or near novice programmers and too little for experienced developers to learn from a extract the maximum return from their languages. I've learnt more from Stroustrup than K&R or Steve McConnell (Code Complete) put together.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive reference for C++, 28 May 2000
I have read a few books on C++, some good and some not so good. This book is without a doubt the clearest and most concise of all of them. The author manages to convey some complex ideas (e.g. pointers) and leaves you with a very clear picture of what they are all about. Some books can go on for pages and pages and at the end you still aren't really sure what they are trying to say, not so here. This is also the first book I have read that gives a satisfactory explanation of header files, macros etc and how to use them well. I highly recommend this book, however it might seem a little heavy as a tutorial book for a total beginner to the language.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complete but heavy-going, 8 May 2000
By A Customer
A book that offers more to the experienced C++ user than beginners wanting to pick up the basics of the language. Written by its creator, coverage of C++ is comprehensive, but you may want to read something a little less heavy-going if you are just starting out with C++. Come back when you are more competent and confident. That said, for professional C++ programmers, this is an excellent manual.
A decision on the purchase on this book should rest entirely with the experience of the reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible, 25 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The C++ Programming Language, Special Edition (Hardcover)
I am not a religious man but if i was this would be my bible. A developer must have. I didn't have much of an issue with the writing style being to hard grasp or have any other issues. Stroustrup covers each sections in a detailed and iterative manner, repeating key concepts with exactly the right amount of detail. I would recommend this book for all levels of learning, being a developer for 10 years might have aided why the books ease of reading however. It has made me refactor my game engine a few times too and slap myself on the wrist a few times as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable book for any serious programmer, 14 Dec. 2010
C. Pal (Cluj-Napoca, Romania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The C++ Programming Language, Special Edition (Hardcover)
Beginners beware about this book's style. It is indeed a hard read and I don't recommended learning C++ from scratch with this book.

However I didn't have much experience beyond the basic syntax either when I begun reading this book.

I love the book for being detailed and thorough and since I will have to work with C++ in my next few projects I found it invaluably helpful.

I recommend this to anyone who wan't to up their knowledge about C++.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic text in hardback, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The C++ Programming Language, Special Edition (Hardcover)
This is a classic C++ text in hardback. If you're programming ordinary C++ rather than the latest bleeding edge version of the language then this edition is an excellent compromise.

My 'Amazon Warehouse' purchase of this book was bumped on the spine (hence returned to Amazon by the first buyer), but represents a better than average condition used purchase for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best C++ manual ever, 5 Jan. 2013
There is very little to say, this is the best C++ book you can ever buy, written by the mind behind C++ itself.
If you are a beginner you may find it a little hard, but at least you are going to learn, and you won't remain a beginner forever.
It covers the standard library too. I haven't seen other books about the STL so I refrain from commenting this section.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT REFERENCE BOOK, 10 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
WOW! This book is exactly what I've been searching for for years! As you'd expect from the creator of the C++ language, it serves as an in-depth reference book and has found a permanent place on my desktop (not on the shelf where my girlfriend keep putting it!)
If you're a C coder and you're looking to learn C++ then this book will serve you well, although it is not suitable for those new to programming.
What more can I say... BUY IT

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, I don't love it, 19 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The C++ Programming Language, Special Edition (Hardcover)
I like it, I don't love it. This is a reference manual. You need this on your desk if you are writing C++, but it isn't a best seller.

Apparently there's this thing called the Inter-Net available now and some of this content is available distributed across 50 Web-Sites. I'd prefer the paper copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible, 27 May 2011
This review is from: The C++ Programming Language, Special Edition (Hardcover)
This is the bible reference for C++ (as my uni lecturers call it), and essential for anyone who is working or plans to work with the language long-term. This is not a teach-it-yourself book, but contains all the syntax of the language, written by the language's creator.

The C++ Programming Language, Special Edition
The C++ Programming Language, Special Edition by Bjarne Stroustrup (Hardcover - 1 Feb. 2000)