5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable reference and great for the beginner.
Published on 26 Jan 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars What Do You Need
Published on 1 April 2001 by brian@fletcher518.freeseve.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable reference and great for the beginner., 26 Jan 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: JavaScript for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides) (Paperback)
I've just started using this one myself, and so far, it's proven to be an invaluable reference. I used to think JavaScript was a difficult and laborious language to learn, especially since the only coding I know is HTML, a little BASIC and some MUSH code (I'm not a programmer, can you tell? *grin*) After paging through the first few chapters of this book, and even jumping around a bit, it's not so much of a mystery anymore, and I now have a correct perception of this popular scripting language, as well as a decent working knowledge. Following the excellent path forged by other titles in the series, this guide is written in a candid, easy to understand manner. Best of all, just like the VQS Guide to HTML4, another of my favorites recommended elsewhere on this site, it's got a companion web site with all of the samples as well as further exercises. Don't waste your time reading thick books full of information you'll never use. Try this one and get to work writing JavaScript immediately. Once you get started and become better versed in the language, you'll want to keep the book nearby as an easy to use reference source.

3.0 out of 5 stars What Do You Need, 1 April 2001
If you are looking for a book to learn Javascript, then buy something else. This book barely scratches the surface. It explains nothing of the real structure of the language, and gives no explanation at all to some of the most basic methods of application or the how to constuct the things that you would use every day i.e. functions. However if you are looking for something to spice up your own personal web site. You will find something in the book you can use. Don't buy this book if you intend trying to earn a living out of scripting. If you are just playing then you will be OK

4.0 out of 5 stars Much improved but could do better, 9 Oct 2003
Don't get me wrong I learnt my javascript with one of the earlier editions so it's an old friend. The fifth edition is what the fourth should have been. That one was way out of date. In ths one there are 3 new chapters, 2 near the beginning and one on nodes near the end. The mark-up code has been converted to XHTML but they missed the oportuunity of using a strict DTD so the are still some use of deprecated attributes notably bgcolor and align which could have easily been done in CSS. Also there is no character encoding so it will not validate with W3C. There is a good covering of topics and many variations of techniques but concentrating on form validation, menus and rollovers would have been better. There is still a lot of old stuff about older browsers which is no longer relevant and they should have stuck with the W3C DOM. All in all a much needed upgrade but this should have been done 3 years ago in the 4th edition and this one could have then tidied up the anomolies and looked to the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book gives me an UNDERSTANDING of what I'm doing!, 26 Jan 1999
By A Customer
I've browsed through several "how to" books on JavaScript and found most of them full of detail. Wonderful, but for a relative "newbie", it can be overwhelming at times. This book makes the learning curve short and makes programming fun.
In the past, I tried to figure out how they did that - looking at the source code. I'd paste in some code and spend hours trying to figure out why it didn't work. I've been to many JavaScript sites and picked up scripts here and there, but I needed a single source to speak to me in plain English.
I bought this book mainly as a primer - assuming I'd have to buy one of those huge ones later. This one has surprised me in that it seems to cover more than I want to know, and it seems to make the learning process easy. At this point, I've tried most of the simple scripts and I'm getting into the more complicated ones. I'm still understanding what I'm doing, and that helps me get the results I'm looking for.
Well laid out and seems to have the reader in mind - Keeps true to the title of the book - good diagrams, and aimed at someone who wants to get STARTED in JavaScript. An excellent book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but leaves you wanting to know more, 15 Feb 2006
T. Prosser (UK) - See all my reviews
This is an okay book. Knowing nothing of Javascript I have been able to learn enough to write my own drop-down menus and image gallery pages etc. But frustratingly for an experienced programmer it doesn't cover some of the basics you would expect to learn of any language, such as types of variables and their declaration and scope. There is a chapter on frames which I didn't think anyone uses any more, but the chapter on cookies is next to useless - I couldn't make head nor tail of it and I've been programming for 20 years! The book wasn't a waste of money by any means, but don't expect to learn all you need to know about Javascript from it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 2 Sep 2002
By A Customer
"Assorted JavaScript Examples" would be a better title for this book. You may find useful bits of code to copy and paste into your web files, but if you need to modify anything, you will have to waste time figuring out how JavaScript works, because the book barely bothers with such "minor" matters. That's a pity, as the book is otherwise well laid out and the approach of this series is great for learning a lot fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars An accessible, well designed quickstart guide. Get it!, 26 Jan 1998
By A Customer
There are a gazillion books on JavaScript and short tutorials, etc. in various books about the Web, but "JavaScript for the WWW (Visual Quickstart Guide)" just jumped right out of the crowd, and I knew it was the right book for me.
I think I have a pretty good sense of usability, and I know that my gut feeling about books is generally right on. This one is excellent!!
I'm not much for programming and scripting, although I have done it (FORTRAN and Basic, some years ago), and I do understand the concepts for object oriented programming (I designed the documentation for Microsoft's C/C++ 7.0). The layout of this book, with it's two equal mirrored columns (on facing pages); one for graphics and one for text, is my favorite design for a Quickstart Guide. I'm not intimidated by the idea of scripting with JavaScript, now that I have this book. I've even taken to reading it in the bathtub, a sacred rite, usually reserved for novels by Walker Percy, etc.
I've been designing software documentation for about 8 years, a good portion of that at Microsoft (Windows 3.0, MS-DOS 5, networks, Multimedia Development Kit, etc); over 100 books for more than 25 products. Tech Docs R Us! I've never written to anyone, telling them how much I like their books, but I had to write Tom and Dori. There's so much garbage out there that a good technical doc deserves a good review. This book gets 5 mice and a hardy hand clasp.
My own learning style tends toward experimentation: I'll read a part of a manual that seems interesting, even if it's in the middle of the book someplace, then try it out on my Mac, make mistakes and go back and reference the text again, and give it another try. The design of this book allows me to do this easily, and I really appreciate that. I learned how to use the first versions of PageMaker and FreeHand by scanning the manuals while riding BART between Berkeley and San Francisco every day.
Wading through walls of text, with a token graphic thrown in here and there, is not my idea of a good time. This book does it right. The numbered procedure lists, only a couple levels of heads, a simple check mark and bullets to indicate tips, usable bleed tabs and an excellent index makes it very easy to scan. I love it!
If you're a Web designer and you'd like to add some true interactivity to your work, but you're a "script-o-phobe" like me, get "JavaScript for the World Wide Web (Visual Quickstart Guide) 2nd Edition." The only thing I'd change about this book, is the length of the title... Gary Bastoky

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Beginners!, 12 May 2011
A. Kwabula (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This book is good if you are just beggining or you are a little comfortable with JavaSript, provided you already understand HTML because it assumes you know HTML already and rightly so because you will make me laugh if you want to learn javascript before you are able to write a simple HTML page! Just like all Visual Quickstart Guide books, most pages are divided into two columns with one column explaing the code (in numbered steps) and the other showing code as it would appear in a text editor. This is followed by screen shots of how the code renders in a browser. I think that makes learning easy and painless. This is followed by 'tips' on the code you just wrote. I found that this book explained better on some topics compared to Beginning JavaScript and vice versa on other topics. I think it may not be comprehensive and can better serve you alongside another resource.

Well normally people learn JavaScript (client side scrpting) after they learn HTML and CSS. From there they go to PHP, ASP etc (server side). In my case I skipped JavaScript so from HTML and CSS, I went for PHP but further down the road it became clear that I needed JavaScript for things like form validation, image slideshows etc. So I purchased this book alongside Beginning Javascript.

The implication being that I may have found it easy to understand the because I already know how to program in another language so your experience may differ but I strongly think this will help you even if you have never programmed, with a little HTML sprinkled with a bit of CSS. It actually have snippets of code that you can plug into your page and see how it works which you can modify as you lear. Graet book and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Javascript for the World Wide Web Review:, 29 Nov 2003
By A Customer
An excelent book for beginers or experts covering a wide variety of javascript with clear and precise explanations. The best javascript book i have found so far and great value for money. Best when bought with HTML 5 Visual Quick Start Guide.

3.0 out of 5 stars cut and paste, but little background knowledge, 30 Jun 2003
Richard Shephard (Solihull, UK) - See all my reviews
The scripts in this book did work when I tried them (once I typed them correctly!). The authors give you sort of enough information to customise the scripts for your own use, but you usually have to think pretty hard. However, if you want to take the commands used and totally rearrange them to make your own entirely new scripts, I'm afraid this book doesn't give you nearly enough knowledge. (Assuming you don't already know Javascript, which you probably don't if you're considering this book!)
In short, if you want to do some cool stuff quickly, and begin to think about making it up for yourself, this book does that very well. It is fun and easy to read. But if like me, you like to have the whole information available (even if you don't read it from cover to cover), this book isn't for you.

JavaScript for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides)
JavaScript for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides) by Dori Smith (Paperback - 26 Dec 1997)
Used & New from: 0.01