5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and easy to read, 24 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Leading a Software Development Team: A Developer's Guide to Successfully Leading People and Projects (The Practical Solutions Series) (Paperback)
I'm leading a software project. I've been given no training, just trying to pick it up, and this book has given me confidence. Some of the advice seems fairly obvious (e.g. how to interview), but some is very useful stuff that I have not seen elsewhere. I would have liked more procedures & process help e.g. list of documents and their contents, but overall it's excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first book for a new team leader, 3 July 2003
Mikko Silvonen (FIN-01511 Vantaa, Finland) - See all my reviews
I have been looking for one book that I could give to all new software team leaders in our company, and this is a good candidate.
Many software project management books are either overwhelming collections of models, techniques and tips, or in-depth descriptions of one process model or management philosophy. This book concentrates entirely on the role change from programmer to team leader and provides answers to many practical questions ("What is meant by teambuilding?", "Can I really say no to the customer?" etc.) without falling to the level of the trivial.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book full of hard fought and hard earned lessons, 16 May 2003
Brian D Claus (Toronto, Ontario, CA) - See all my reviews
I picked up this book a couple of weeks ago and its immediately been added to my top list of books that I provide to my team leads. As I've formerly fulfilled the role(s) mentioned in this book, I fervently wish it had been around when I started. The book contains most of the hard earned lessons that experienced Team Leads pick up "along the way".
The book is well written, clear, and neatly organized along topical lines. The table of contents is organized both traditionally and as a set of questions that one might want to ask when one takes over, which I thought was particularly useful.
Each of the topics is organized into a short chapter that manages to neatly and concisely capture the general situations and solutions along with advice that one might encounter. It also covers all areas from people issues, technical issues, design issues, process issues, pointy-haired manager issues (the last not being an official section or chapter ;-). The advice is direct and useful, explaining clearly the pitfalls, dangers and solutions.

The author of this book is spot on. I look forward to collecting future titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on the subject, 5 May 2002
By A Customer
There's a lot of information, some you've already worked out for yourself, but the author's generally spot on. One of the issues I had was how to reason some of the process changes to higher management, this book puts these issues in word they like.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most practical SW project management book, 7 May 2007
This is the most amazing software project management book, I've read. It is so simple, practical.

It is especially for team-leaders (i.e. not really for project managers). You can open this book, and will very probably find solution to every problem and situation a team-leader can meet (reequirements, design, coding, testing, team-leading, etc, etc).

I've read "The Art of Project Management" from Scott berkun , and also "Applied software project management" from Green and Stenly, but this was the most practical I ever met.

If you want to buy only one book about software project management, buy this one. (then buy applied software project managment, and then the art of PM)

5.0 out of 5 stars It was written for me, 29 Jun. 2007
After being an 'official' team leader for a couple years now I thought I'd get a book on the subject to see if I'm doing the right things. I'm very pleased I bought this book - thanks to the other reviews. I feel like it was written for me.