5.0 out of 5 stars An orphan's homecoming

3.0 out of 5 stars Too emotionally difficult
Published 7 months ago by The Pegster

5.0 out of 5 stars An orphan's homecoming, 29 Dec 1997
By A Customer
From the moment I read the first few pages, I knew I had hit upon the most familiar, yet previously unwritten, words I had read to date. In a world where only 5 percent of children lose a parent while they are young, I had felt completely, utterly alone. No one I knew could understand my pain; I learned early not to burden anyone with it. The book takes the reader inside the mind and heart of an author who lost her mother at a crucial time (what time isn't?). When another has experienced the same loss, it is as though the words she reads are her own. Slowly, tenderly, she unravels the stories of other women who were orphaned (not meaning 'without parents' but technically defined as 'motherless') at a young age and gives them life. She beautifully and bravely takes the reader through her worst fears - having children, attaching to another person, dying at the same age as her mother. Hope Edelman, through a series of stories about women like me, has written my story. It is a book that healed a part of me previously untouched, and allowed me to finally take my place as a woman who would survive the most profound loss any child could experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely a comforting book., 2 Aug 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Motherless Daughters: The Legacy of Loss (Hardcover)
This book was such an enlightening for me. At the age of 41, I finally am understanding how the loss of my mother 23 years ago has had an impact on my life today. There were so many woman that contributed to that book that validated so many of my feelings.
I would recommend this book to any woman that has lost their mother. Absolutely FANTASTIC !

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful - my feelings on paper in black and white!, 30 April 2006
This book has been very well researched and written. I would say that it is for any women who has lost a mother btween birth and 30years old. The author has thoroughly researched this subject of lose so much so that to me she seems to cover every possibility of loss of a mother. In the early chapters I was worried that the book would not cover my situation (losing a mother who I had a difficult relationship with and had caused me harm and pain)and felt that what I may read would cause me more harm by rubbing salt in the wounds, as it talked of mother's as loving, providing figures, which my mother wasn't. However as I moved on in the book it covered my circumstances and the additional difficulties and complications in grieving a mother who wasn't as a mother should be.

Many of the feelings and thoughts I have had over the years I have pushed back down feeling that they were twisted or in some way wrong. Reading in this book that many other women have had the same feelings and thoughts has validated mine and helped me to face them head on.

I feel that this book would be an excellent tool to aid women who are trying to address and work through the loss of their mother at a relatively young age. It also covers the relationships we have with our fathers, siblings and step families plus future relationships with partners and the complications which may arise there.

It is a book I am and will continue to use, as I face up to the sad reality of my past.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every motherless daughter should own a copy of this book, 16 Jan 2004
Quite simply the book is FANTASTIC. You can open up any page at any time and relate to it. You will think it was written just for you and know that the emotions you are going through are completely normal. A god send!!

4.0 out of 5 stars without a mother, 9 Jan 2007
T. Oksanen (Helsinki, Finland) - See all my reviews
A find from my Australian trip.

It's surprising how few books there are infact about growing up without a mother. My mother didn't die though. But it was still very interesting and emotional to read this book and to feel that there are many women like me.

This book is series of interviews and how women have coped with the loss thru different phases in their lives. It's also a story how the author lost her mother and how she dealt with it.

Eventhough this book deals with different areas of the life time the one I was the most interested in was just few pages long.

(Mainly how the loss affects one's relationship with the opposite sex.) Maybe that's in the next book... ?

However an interesting book for anyone in the situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars My First Form of Therapy, 12 July 2010
Having lost my mother to suicide at 17 (I'm now 22) I have found this book to be very comforting- although naturally sometimes upsetting. I haven't finished it yet as i read only a couple pages before I go to bed, I think in a way i'm trying to savour it.
I would recommend the book to any woman who has lost her mother between childhood to late twenties.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too emotionally difficult, 28 Jan 2014
I got this book out of the library and had planned to read it in connection with my job, as I am dealing with bereaved people on a daily basis. I found this book often too emotional to read and found it very hard to detach myself, couldn't help but think that one day I will have to face this. (Luckily, I still have my mum). While I usually find it easy to detach myself from the subject at work, it was harder here, and I'm not sure it helped me a lot with my work, as I found it just upsetting. We usually get taught 'Show empathy, not pity', and that's what I try to do. I suppose if you are a bereaved daughter the book might help you to see that you are not alone and many others feel in a similar way.

The three stars only reflect that I did not get out of it what I wanted from it, I still think it will be very helpful to a bereaved daughter.

2.0 out of 5 stars It didn't fit for me having lost my mother as an infant., 4 Aug 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Motherless Daughters: The Legacy of Loss (Hardcover)
I would like to find a book that dealt with the loss of a parent at a young age. I was two days old when my mother died of a brain hemmorage (sp). I didn't get to spend any time with my mother and this book talked alot about having had a mother until the teen years or beyond.

4.0 out of 5 stars Motherless Daughters, 12 Dec 2011
I lost my mum 4 and 1/2 years ago, but at the time I had a 14 month old child and I was pregnant with my second. As a result, life carried on around me and I was propelled along without taking the proper time to grieve. I am currently going through an emotional upheaval and this book was recommended to me, as I don't have a mum to turn to anymore for help and support. Motherless Daughters has been a great source of comfort and is helping me to grieve properly, to better understand how I feel about my mum's death and to accept how I see myself now she's gone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 18 Dec 2012
Very Reassuring and Comforting. Much needed read.
Opened my eyes and my mind enabling me to work through a tough time.

Motherless Daughters: The Legacy of Loss
Motherless Daughters: The Legacy of Loss by Hope Edelman (Hardcover - 28 Jun 1994)
Used & New from: 1.17