on 10 July 1998
...Lee Atwater was and is my hero, he was the ne plus ultra of the business that is at the center of my soul, and I personaly saw the difference between the Lee Atwater run Bush campaign and a non Atwater Bush campaign. Lee you will never be more missed than you where in 1992.
This book captures the good and the bad of Lee Atwater. The wink and the smile that most of the press missed shines through these pages. The sheer brilliance that propelled him to the top as well as the deamons who chased him there are made known.
Most of all it explains that Lee was not the racist that Democrats made him out to be, a campaign his cancer left him unable to finish.
This text lays out the strategies and thoughts that made Lee the success that we was. I is a text on how tho plan and win campaigns. It is a text about never ever giving up and the use of grit as an instrument of victory.
on 9 October 1998
As one active in politics, I've read many a political book, but have never read one that taught me so much and touched my emotions so much as well. I found myself laughing outloud at certain parts, and fighting back tears in others. Phenomenally written.
on 14 April 1999
I read this for several reasons. I worked with Lee, and virtualy every person named in the book. It was a time in my life I'll never forget. Lee might not realize it , but he did fulfill his dream. He taught me, and so many others like me, when he didn't know it. It was a privilidge to have been one of his students. Now to the book. I never knew that one of my photos was placed in the casket by Sally. I took the christmas card picture mentioned on page xix. That is an honor. Lee had me photograph every party, mixer, event, and many trips. We even played guitar after hours occasionally. As an employee of both the RNC and the NRCC, my interaction was close and personal. Everyone who is on the course to become politically active, behind or in front of the cameras/podiums/candidates, should read this book and learn from this book. However, they should note the following: on page 237, Dick Cheney was the Representative from Wyoming, not Colorado. How do I know? I did his successor's (Craig Thomas, now a U.S. Senator) media, and was there when Craig was selected to run. And, on page 245, Ed Rollins is called the Deputy Chairman of the Republican National Congressional Committee. Wrong, it was the National Republican Congressioanl Committee. And, he was Chairman. Nitpicking? No. Lee would want information to be accurate. NSR (no spin required)