The Jini Specifications
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£30.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 11 June 1999
As a young engineer I can feel the energy that surrounds Jini technology. It seems that Jini has the potential to be something that will change the way we look at and do computing. It has also been kept open enough so that anybody and everybody can learn and work with it.
The only unfortunate thing was that till this day. There were no comprehensive learning aids. I have read many of the faqs, slide shows, tutorials and mailing list archives (that I could find on the internet). They have all been insightful and helpful but none of them have been complete.
The "Jini Specification" has been my first complete step into understanding how this new technology will change the way I think.
It has provided me with an introduction and overview of the general principles and components of Jini (Part 1 - Overview and Examples). This was complemented with what I think are very relevant and easy to understand examples (eg. chat room).
(This was something my friend and I were trying to implement as part of the learning experience. :)
It has also convinced me of the need to read the relevant Jini white papers by including them as Part 2 - The Jini Specification. I will continue to refer to this section until all the white papers are read and committed to memory. (just joking!)
"A Note on Distributed Computing" is Appendix A and it was my first time reading this report. I thought it reflected what I understood/assumed about local and distributed computing.
I realize that this is one of the first books (if not the first) on the topic of Jini and as such I have nothing else to compare it too. But, it has increased my understanding of Jini and distributed computing. This makes the book worthwhile in my mind.
Felix Tang, University of Toronto, Engineering Science
on 20 July 1999
As a distributed computer designer, developer and research I feel this book is best for JINI - which is the latest and modest happening in field of distributed computing.
The book not only covers JINI specifications, but has a clear theory on what it is, with code samples and very clean writing fashion.
Moreover, it is short and to the point. I strongly recommend this book to distributed design professionals and students, as it gives a latest tech flavour for them to be in touch and know tommorrows' computing arena.
on 29 June 1999
This book deals with a complicated subject in an intelligent and well organized manner. The excellent presentation itself speaks well for the quality of the editing provided by the publisher, and I highly recommend it for anyone involved in the field.