4.0 out of 5 stars Beginners may struggle
I'm a begginner when it comes to C and C++, and finding an entry point to implementing a resilient Winsock solution was my goal when I bought this book.
Published on 19 Jun 2003 by Steve Hibbert

3.0 out of 5 stars Blocking Sockets
In this book a socket is made non-blocking only briefly, in an example that is not compiled under Windows. Several of the tips are not relevant to the Windows environment or are elementary.
Published on 16 April 2008 by Kim

4.0 out of 5 stars Beginners may struggle, 19 Jun 2003
Steve Hibbert "Hiblet" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Effective TCP/IP Programming: 44 Tips to Improve Your Network Programs (Paperback)
It's not targeted at beginners, and assumes a reasonable amount of compentency with compiling, linking and using external resources. Having said that, I have struggled through, and I have managed to get most of the examples in the book working, which has proved very instructive. Mostly I had to resort to finding functions and chopping them into my local code - I see this not as a failing of the book, just as something to be aware of for freshmen.
The book also makes a great effort to be relevant to Windows and Unix, and to rigourously enforce compatibility. A definite plus.
There are a lot of examples of how TCP/IP fails, common errors and assumptions that programmers make when using TCP and UDP, and very useful tips on what to avoid. There is also a lot of technical explanation of what is going on at the stream/packet level, which is very useful, and well written.
Coding is all in C and rarely uses classes. The code is slimmed down to show key functionality, and the only errors I've found have been of my own devising.
I did hit a brick wall at one point, and resorted to contacting Jon Snader, the author. He was good enough to reply and offer encouragement and further tips, and he seemed genuinely interested in helping.
All in all, I would strongly recommend this book to established, confident C programmers who may have tried Winsock programming and found it painful. Mr Snader's book has shaped how I intend to build my system architecture, so it's well worth the investment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Blocking Sockets, 16 April 2008