on 19 January 2001
I would really like to recommend this book. Despite being a perl newbie I was able to delve deep into the intricacies of networking and sockets with the help of this book.
Other books I have, dedicate only a chapter or two to sockets programming but this book leaves you with the feeling that there is nothing you cannot do.
All examples are fully explained line by line making this one of the few books I have come across easy enough for a novice to use but indepth enough to enlighten a guru.
The subject is so well explained yet the content is so deep that I am afraid it will now require its own permanent space on my desk.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 8 January 2013
If, like me, you do quite a lot of systems administration and network administration then you will find the need to automate often. Being that my platforms of choice are almost always Linux based I can be reasonably assured that Perl will always be present. So developing network management tools in Perl is something I do often and this is the clearest book I have read on the subject. Stein has managed to convey every aspect of the task from the basics of networking to some of the more complex interactions and still find some comprehensive tools and methods to cater for these in Perl. For me this is one book that I will have by my side as I need it. However this is an old book and has never seen an update and misses out some of the newer libraries that can speed up production. This is an omission that dates this book quite considerably. However there is often need to write portable code and not rely on someone to install the libraries needed to use these functions so this remains a very important reference
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again