Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 June 1999
The KornShell Programming Tutorial should be the model for all technical books. It is well organized and extremely well written. The book provides a ton of examples, and output is provided for each one--what a concept! Reading this book has enabled me to write support and debugging scripts for the program I currently work on, and if I need to refer to the book, I can find the topic quickly. The writing style is crystal-clear and right-to-the-point, and the humorous touches round out everything nicely. Thanks to Barry Rosenberg for caring enough to write a book on Korn Shell programming that a novice could actually read, understand, and apply.
on 11 September 1997
This is the best book on KornShell programming that I have seen. I would consider this a must read for anyone new to the UNIX environment. I would like to see more books written by Rosenberg that use this as a template. Great job !
on 27 April 1999
This is an excellent book; as it says, it is "by example" - and every new topic has code and an explanation - which is the way to go! I would recommend this book for anybody starting out in Kornshell programming, or anybody who needs a useful reference for later on: rather than simply list the functions, the book's chapters organize "areas" of interest... so if you're writing a kornshell script, but need (and can't remember ;-) ) some math function, go to the manual and you'll get all the info you need! NOTE: this book is excellent for korn shell on UNIX and the U/WIN kornshell; however the mortice korn shell.. does not seem to be the same as is in this book...
on 13 May 1997
This book is an absolute pleasure to use. When I'm working on a scripting task and run into an obstacle, I want to be able to quickly get the information I need and move on. The numerous examples and thorough index make it possible for me to typically get an answer within a couple of minutes. With so many other books I get annoyed having to skip around for 20 or 30 minutes looking for information related to my specific problem. If you're the type who prefers reading concise examples of exactly what you want to do, as opposed to wading through vaguely related sections scattered throughout a book, then this book is your best choice.
on 7 March 1997
This is the best book on Korn shell programming I have
ever seen, or ANY shell programming, for that matter.
I have a hard time keeping track of my copy at work,
because my co-workers are always borrowing it. We just
looked it up here so they could buy their own copies and
leave mine alone!

This book is for experienced programmers as well as
beginners. It's a terrific reference.
on 9 October 1998
re: ISBN 0-201-56324-X pages 35 and 40 there is no `-R' option on page 35 (around the middle of the page that reads `print "$x minus $y is $z"') and the output is a negative number. BUT on page 40 (around the 3rd line from the bottom, where it reads `print -R "$loss"'), it says that the `-R' option is required to print negative numbers. Just wanted to point it out.
on 17 August 1998
Having worked on many different systems in the past, I found Mr. Rosenberg's book to be an excellent resource. The example format was exactly what I needed to start shell programming almost immediately. I especially liked the bad-better-best programming examples. This is one of the two books I keep around at all times.
on 7 November 2000
I've been ksh programming on and off for about 7 years now and this book is still the best. It's easy to read, great for reference and constantly reminds you of good ways to do things. Also a great book for teaching new support teams standards and good programming practices. A must for anyone who wants to know ksh.
on 8 May 1998
Thought the author did an excellant job getting right into the details with great examples that worked, all of them. This book is good for the beginner non-programmer types as well as the programming professionals. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to get a good foundation in KornShell programming.
on 5 September 1998
The Best Book for Unix System Administrators, which gives the entire information for Korn Shell Programmers.And I like the way the author presented the material.
ONE OF THE BEST BOOK.I strongly recommend this book for New and Experienced Korn Shell Programmers.