5.0 out of 5 stars The book that started it all for us, 12 Feb 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Learning All The Time (Paperback)
I read an article about 15 years ago in Parade magazine about the Colfax family and the homeschooled sons that they sent to Harvard. This got me interested in homeschooling any children I might have one day, but my fiance (now my husband) disagreed. So I began on long, slow process of picking up books at the library about homeschooling and leaving them in convenient spots such as the bathroom, for him to read. This book is the one that convinced my husband that homeschooling was a viable and intelligent choice for our family.
Filled with marvelous insights about children and how they learn, their initial love of learning and their later dread of it, this book explains why children's love of learning must be cherished and treasured. It is a wonderful book, for homeschooler and institutional schooler alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 31 May 2010
This review is from: Learning All The Time (Paperback)
I bought this to to confirm my beliefs that children can learn in their own way and their own time without adult intervention, in fact they do much better without adults interfering. All adults need to do is to meet basic needs and be the childs support and the child will do the rest.
I have witnessed this myself while watching my own children grow up and through my childminding job.
A must for anyone who has children or who works with children.
All of John Holts books are worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Children Fail by John Holt, 4 April 2009
Terje Gerhard Valen "TGV" (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning All The Time (Paperback)
How Children Fail and How Children Learn are two books that every teacher and parent should read, just as it was said in The Teacher magazine in US when it first reviewed it. I have been using these two books, together with other classics like, Didactica Magna by Johan Amos Comenius and Democracy and Education by John Dewy, and Piaget's and Vygotsky's books on psychology and education. Holt's books gives special insights which are crucial to all education. And they are not autdated. Creating safe places to learn, releasing play and creativity, following up each child - and how to do it - these are some of the qualities of Holt's books. I do not agree with his ideas of home-schooling though, this may work for special families, but not for all of society.
Terje Valen, teacher of 13-16 year olds for nearly forty years. Norway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning all the Time by John Holt, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Learning All The Time (Paperback)
Being a new home educator of my 8 year old son, I am enjoying the informative and practical style of John Holt's book. What comes through is that just because we tell someone something, does not mean they understand or agree. Unlike school, home education allows one to one tuition which enables the child the chance to reiterate and discuss the subject matter at hand. As highlighted in this book, the parent or tutor has the opportunity to give instant feedback. Also he highlights that the sky is the limit and getting there can be a whole lot of fun; now that is how a child can grow to love learning.

Learning All The Time
Learning All The Time by Holt (Paperback - 1 Jan 1990)
6.87