5.0 out of 5 stars This book is improving the standard of coding
Published on 12 Oct 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars A catalogue of obvious ideas
I was disappointed with this book, especially given its previous reviews here. After reading a good technical book I like to feel that I've learned something that would've taken me months or years to figure out, but most of this book struck me as being already obvious to anyone with a few years' programming experience.
Don't get me wrong, if a...
Published on 14 Dec 2005 by James Oldfield

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is improving the standard of coding, 12 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code (Object Technology Series) (Hardcover)
Like the GoF book, this book makes new ground by describing each refactoring in baby-step format and *naming* each of the refactorings. It has also led to more refactoring tools (which I hope will become a mandatory IDE requirement). So, instead of having to refactor your code manually, you can simply goto the menu and select "Extract Method", "Replace Temp with Query" etc. I highly recommend people check out the new IntelliJ IDEA (called Pandora). As Kent Beck notes, a refactoring tool completely changes the way you think about coding.
10 thumbs up for this book and the effect it will have on the industry.
Steve

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop those annoying grubby code build-ups, 15 Aug 2002
I'm probably not alone in finding that, upon opening up source code (even my own), I have an uncontrollable urge to remove duplication, simplify, reduce and generally "improve" things before I can start to see how changes can be made. Then I read this book and discovered that I was refactoring.
Even better, I started to understand that there were a set of well-designed methods to apply, some of which I'd informally discovered for myself (so I wasn't alone after all) and many more that I hadn't thought of. It doesn't hurt that the book is well, and often entertainingly written.
Although some of the content is explicitly targeted at code built in full-blown object-oriented languages (the language used throughout is Java), it doesn't prove to be a hindrance to VB programmers like myself.
This book may fall slightly behind "Code Complete" in my list. Which would only make it the second best development book I've ever read (but it's the first one I felt like posting a review on).

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST Read for Every OO Developer !!! (but the book is now a bit dated... see my comment to this review), 21 Dec 2000
Jakob Jenkov "jjenkov" (Copenhagen) - See all my reviews
This book is simply great !! It's definately the most useful book I've read since "Design Patterns".

It has an easily read and also sometimes quite amusing text, UML diagrams when necessary, and of course, VERY GOOD CONTENT !!! In short Refactoring is about turning badly designed and written code into well designed and written code, without breaking the program. If you liked read "Design Patterns" (Gamma et al.) you love this one as well. It's structured in much the same way.

The content covers

* WHY + WHEN to refactor
* HOW + WHAT to refactor
* A very good chapter on unit testing with JUnit (Open Source, by Eric Gamma (Design Patterns) and Kent Beck (Extreme Programming) )
* A thorough catalogue of different refactorings you can do to improve the design and readability of your code.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who cares if you "knew this already" ?!!, 8 Dec 2009
Great ideas in software are often met with the "if you've been around as long as me, then you know this stuff already" line. WHO CARES?!! Often in fields involving know-how, the most "obvious" things (techniques, principles) *need* to be revisited, re-stated (out loud, as it were), just to plant our feet back on the ground, to reacquaint us with the foundations. I approached this book with scepticism but after reading a chapter and skimming through the rest, I was already re-enthused on a software project I had become disillusioned with. The results are an order of magnitude better: lean, clear, crisp, efficient. It'll make you proud to show your code to others!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most important developer reference since the GOF?, 8 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Martin Fowler gets better and better. His writing is clear, well structured and amusing. Lets face that alone is enough to put him at the top end of the computer book market.
It is the subject matter that really impresses. Refactoring is the process of restructuring your software in a controlled, safe manner. It is the key to avoiding software entropy and the exponential cost-of-change curve. Most of all it re-empowers developers without handing a carte blanche to the cowboy coders.
Fowler presents the key principles of refactoring in a series of pattern like chapters of techniques; with examples and suggestions for their applicability. This is both a great exposition of the theory of refactoring along with practical, "how-to", examples.
I expect to see this on quality "must have on the bookshelf" lists from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading, 29 Jun 2006
C. Jack "colinjack" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
I'd advise people to ignore the negative reviews for the following reasons:

1) People now talk about specific refactorings so, like design patterns, you need to know the names.

2) It was never supposed to teach you good design. If you want to learn that there are good books out there (including by Craig Larman and Robert C. Martin).

3) Some of it is basic but you can ignore that stuff if you want to, and when your doing some of the more complicated refactorings they could well be useful.

4) As Martin Fowler points out you don't need to read it cover to cover, in fact he advises you use it as a reference.

What this does teach you is how to iteratively improve bad code, something every developer needs to be able to do. In any case its valuable to read about the code smells, the reasons for needing to do specific refactorings and to read the examples.

Also if you want more advanced concepts I'd recommend "Agile Software Development" by Robert C. Martin and "Refactoring to Patterns" by Joshua Kerievsky which both build on this work.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's always obvious in retrospect, 13 Dec 2008
When I first read this book it described a whole lot of practices that I'd been following for years, I just hadn't call it refactoring. I'd find some piece of code that didn't feel right and then I'd tinker with it to improve it. I'd rename variables and methods and rearrange stuff and so on until I felt it was right. I just didn't have a vocabulary to describe what I was doing.
As with other classics the situations and methods that are described here are now considered obvious and simple by many, but that wasn't always the case. This book defined the terms that are now in common use, the code smells, the refactorings, even the word itself. It has provided modern software development with a knowledge and understanding that code isn't developed perfect the first time around, that it is ok to improve it and that it can be done in a safe and controlled manner.
Every developer should read this book at least once. Personally it is one the books that I always keep with me when working.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb book you will read in full and return to regularly, 14 Nov 1999
I found this book superb. It reinforces a number of techniques I had been using and introduces a load more. It takes away that 'guilt' feeling you often have when doing a re-design of existing code and gives you the tools to improve the code greatly. It is well written and each method has a small description, a small example and cross references to other methods which makes it perfect as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down!, 13 Jan 2000
By A Customer
Perhaps that's a little strong, but this book is first rate. I had the good fortune to pick it up just when I joined a project with a lot of legacy code, but not much legacy design. At the same time, the team members felt like they were sinking in a sea of shifting requirements. Fowler addresses this common scenario with usable, practical advice for incrementally improving the design while continuing to meet deadlines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maintenance made easy, 6 April 2000
By A Customer
My current BOOK. I use its wisdom extensively to refresh old code, optimize and simplify. Needless to say, code maintenance time of the legacy systems we developed is dwindling as the code and structure becomes more and more logical and understandable. A definite must-read for anyone developing new systems or maintaining old ones. Takes one step by step thru each type of refactoring.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code (Object Technology Series)