Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 February 1999
The title makes it clear C and perl a required. This is a great no nonsense book and people should not expect it to teach C, Perl AND CGI. Much better than all my wasted time with QUE publications. A new edition would be appreciated!
on 22 March 1999
I know if you've read the reviews previous to this one, you should already know that you need to know C and Perl to read this book. But I am going to say it again. And you don't only need to be familiar with it. You need to KNOW it. If you don't, you'll get lost in three chapters like I did. Since it is a book based entirely on examples, unless you understand the code perfectly, you'll be lost. You also need to know the basis of CGI scripting to know where the script is getting at. You may ask if you already should know all this to understand the book, why buy it? For the examples I guess, but don't buy it to learn is my suggestion. Get a Dummie's book for that. Then get this one as reference.
on 7 April 1999
I'd written many complex CGI scripts using Perl before even buying this book, and the concepts in it are sound and well explained. My purpose for this book was to make the difficult transition from PERL-based CGI programming to C-based CGI, and this book definitely served the purpose well. My only two complaints are: 1) There aren't enough code examples per chapter (remember what I bought the book for), and 2) The material is woefully out of date. Still, I haven't seen anything better at CGI using C out there, and I've been looking for a long time.
on 30 December 1998
This book is great. The code examples are in the book and on the CD-ROM. The author shows the examples in both C and in PERL printed in the book, which is more that I can say for a lot of other books. The topics are easy to locate and pick up.
If you aren't familiar with either language, pick up "Perl For Dummies" and then go to this book. Between the two of the books, you will have the best combo available.
Thanks go to Thomas Boutell for a great book.
on 29 March 1999
The basic information and concepts are good but...
This book is seemingly out of date. It keeps referring to Netscape 1 for goodness sakes! The example pictures make it clear how outdated this book is. In such a fast changing environment, looking at these examples was a big turn off!
But I suppose the information is not completely outdated. There's not much to CGI, so I guess it doesn't really change. Still there are better books out there
on 12 October 1997
This book may be good if you are an experienced user of C, or Perl, but for someone like me, a new user, this book is way over your head. The book starts off nice and slow, but once you get into the actual "useful" portion of the book, you are totally lost.
I would not recommend this book to anyone who is trying to learn CGI programming from scratch, it assumes that you already know a fair amount about both C and Perl.
on 25 February 1998
I was new to CGI programming when I started to read this book. I finished it in a week and I have written several very complex CGI programs since then. It's a good book for everyone.