5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to the STL
This is an excellent introduction to the STL, and at the time it was written, was the only book available on the subject.
The examples are necessarily simple (mutating alphabetic and numeric sequences etc), but are sufficient to demonstrate the power of the container and algorithm functionality without extraneous clutter.
The discussion of Big-Oh notation and...
Published on 2 Nov 2002 by Michael C da Silva

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but poorly organized
I am afraid that among all this 5-star stimations I would look stupid, but my major criteria for the book is whether you feel the stuff after reading. No, I am not. You will not find "pseudo real-world" examples, but the same a-la "hello world" is repeated again and again. Yet another book about STL. Not the worst one, but definitely far from being...
Published on 9 Mar 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to the STL, 2 Nov 2002
Michael C da Silva (Grays, Essex England) - See all my reviews
The discussion of Big-Oh notation and quantification of the performance impact of container and algorithm choices is particularly useful in guiding the developer towards the appropriate choice for their application.
One minor annoyance is that because this book was published prior to ratification of the C++ Standard, the book does not reflect the adoption of the std namespace, dropping of the file extension (eg .h) for standard library headers, and the general renaming of header files that occurred as part of the standardization process.
However, as a contract C++ programmer, I have found this book invaluable in developing quality systems to constrained timescales and budget, using Visual C++ 4.2 onwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best guide for the standard C++ library, 17 Oct 1998
By A Customer
Since this book was written the Standard Template Library (STL) has become part of the ANSI/ISO standard C++ library. The book is old (for being a bleeding edge technology) and some minor details have changed, but this is still the best guide available. Every serious C++ programmer should have this book within reach when programming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fatally short of code examples for user defined types, 13 April 1999
By A Customer
This book is clinical, academic and not particularly sympathetic. It will teach you the STL if you have the mental stamina, but NOT if you are working with user-defined data. With user-defined data you are on your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic and thorough reference., 19 Mar 2010
Mr. Simon O'riordan "voluntary33" (Dorset England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The STL Tutorial and Reference Guide: C++ Programming with the Standard Template Library (Professional Computing) (Hardcover)
I bought this book used, and when it arrived I looked at the edition date - 2001 - and thought I might have something which was no use in the present age.
However, working through the book, with numerous examples, I found that I could enjoy the concurrency of classic STL without modification, except perhaps the usual Linux tweak of cstring.h instead of string.h.
Practically everything works and is still true, but more importantly the book never leaves you dangling, and at the risk of a little overkill, reinforces every nut and bolt of the STL in comprehensive, practical terms.

I would recommend this book thoroughly, and the 2001 edition is going for peanuts too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tutorial / Decent (albeit abridged) reference, 7 July 1998
By A Customer
If you are just starting, you can't lose with this. A three part book - philosophy and overview of generic programming / putting STL to use (an anagram machine) / reference. Well laid out, easy to follow, brings you from zero knowledge to above average ability quickly. I hesitate to give it five stars because it fails to mention several large chunks of STL that you could immediately use, including the functionals and some very useful pieces (strings (with iostreams), bit sets, fstreams, locales, limits, etc). Aesthetically pleasing next to the Gang-o-Four (Design Patterns - also by Addison-Wesley).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tutorial and reference, 8 Dec 1998
By A Customer
I read this book when I knew little about STL, so I think I was a good tester of how this book is useful as a a tutorial. I appreciated the first 'appetizer' chapter, which gives a quick tour of STL showing its power and providing motivation to read the following chapters. I liked the both good and concise examples which illustrate every concept, and the clear and simple writing of the authors. So, I was not surprised that the colleagues of mine who read my copy had liked it too - and I understood why it was suggested as the primary STL source by the italian best programming magazine. Excellent work, useful as reference too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal if you already have a C++ book that doesn't cover STL., 30 Nov 1998
By A Customer
It focuses on STL. There are great books for C++, which don't include this addition to the C++ standard. Keep your good old C++ book and give it a companion for STL related matters. It is also a lot more complete than the one chapter about STL in general C++ books. A Reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coverage of STL, but room for improvement, 30 Oct 1998
By A Customer
This is a good tutorial and reference of STL, thought there is stil room for improvement, especialy in organization and presentation. None the less, it is still the most comprehensive STL book I have seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent overview and introduction, 28 April 1998
By A Customer
I found this to be a wunnerful book given that I wasn't very experienced using STL when I read it. It provided the necessary hooks for me to make better sense out of the two extremes on the continuum (see two references below). The reference section could be arranged more usefully, but this is a minor carp. I highly recommend this one for folks trying to get their minds around STL. This is an accessible cover-to-cover read.

Gotta qualify the numerical rating. I consider this a 10 for the non-expert STL audience trying to understand STL. Probably more of a 6 for experienced users who are more interested in reference manuals.

I find that as I get more and more familiar with STL, I look more and more frequently at the two books below. However, these books are now vastly more useful after reading "the STL Tutorial and Reference Guide".

"The STL <Primer>" by Glass and Schuchert. Excellent brief synopsis of the interfaces, not much supporting detail but very handy. I reach for this one first when I want to use something in STL. If I need more details, I look in...

"C++ Programmer's guide to the Standard Template Library" by Mark Nelson, very detailed in its treatment of most *all* of the parts of STL. Thick, but something that provides all the details has to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it! Read it! Learn it!, 16 Mar 1998
By A Customer
Excellent book. Buy it. Read it. Learn it. If you don't buy another STL book, buy this one. It is one of the best.