5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !
Published on 22 Aug 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Outdated
This book is grossly outdated. It was published in 1999, and HTML (and the world) has moved on a lot since then. This is the fourth edition of this book, not a guide to HTML 4 as the link suggests. (Don't make the same mistake I did!) Many of the tags in the book are deprecated, and have been for a long time. While that might be of historical interest to some, if you're...
Published on 30 Sep 2010 by helloprograms

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !, 22 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: HTML 4 for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides) (Paperback)
I am a student at university and during the past year I had to design my first web site from scratch using only html. At first I thought it was going to be a daunting task however by chance this excellent book was bought for me and what a gem it is. The author gently takes you from the very basic beginning, assumes that you have zero knowledge, and carefully guides you through the process of designing a web site. Forms, simple javascript, style sheets, cgi and much more are to be found within this book. Do not let the apparent lack of pages deter you for small fonts allow Liz to pack this book with information. Importantly for other students this book is unbelievably priced. Do not make the mistake of thinking that because it is affordable and relatively small that it cannot be useful, I have other large and dense books which I found to be totally confusing and offputting. If you want to understand html and write a simple elegant website then this book is the best. By the way I got 76% for the website assignment. Thanks Liz!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive Reference Book.......excellent, 1 Feb 2001
By A Customer
I knew the basics of HTML before buying the book but with the help of the book I was able to create much more! This isn't a book i'd read from cover to cover. I've used it as a reference guide. Straighforward, step by step examples help you to understand what the HTML code is doing. Highly reccommended for a beginner looking to learn more complex parts of HTML.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 11 July 2002
By A Customer
Before reading this book my understanding of HTML was very limited, however now I can understand the structure of a HTML page, I can see what its meant to do and how it is doing it.
Prior to reading the book, my web design was all done via FrontPage, I ignored the HTML code. This of course resulted in larger file sizes due to the software adding extra code.
Now I've learned to read and use HTML, and most importantly for myself, the book has introduced Cascading Style Sheets to me. This has enabled me to go through each of the pages on my website, rewriting the code, implementing CSS and so far, the size of the first 7 pages I have changed has reduced from a total of 103kb to 30kb.
This really is an excellent book, it starts with the basics, and provides easy to follow instructions and example HTML code.
If your wanting to learn HTML then I would highly recommend this book. Great to read through and an excellent reference tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent beginner's text!!, 2 Mar 2001
By A Customer
I bought a couple of HTML books when I bought this one and all the others have been assigned to the bookshelf to gather dust. I started with a very limited and basic knowledge of HTML and I am now training others! The book is divided into easy to use sections which allow the reader to dip in as and when required and the examples are very clear and concise making it a perfect beginner's guide. Whether you're a complete beginner to HTML or a more experienced user who wants an easy to use reference then, in my humble opinion, this book is a must!

4.0 out of 5 stars Castro rocks, 28 Aug 2004
A lot of HTML guides out there are woefully outdated (and not particularly clear either). This book is in its fifth edition, so she must be doing something right! But she has brought out an even easier and clearer guide which doesn't seem to be available yet on Amazon, but which I heartily recommend for newbies - 'Creating a Web page in HTML' . This slim volume is the best introduction to creating web pages I have seen and is produced with extensive visuals and screenshots (both Windows and Mac) in full colour. It is thoroughly up to date and provides clear explanations and examples of Style Sheets, Colours, navigaton, images and everything else you need to get a basic web site online. After mastering this book you can then move on to HTML 4 for the WWW, which, by the way, Castro points out is a *reference* book. Oh, there's a companion website too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 26 Jan 2002
I needed to learn HTML 4 quickly and this book taught me everything I needed to know in just under
one week. The book is superbly presented in a simple but effective manner allowing the reader to
grasp the concepts in no time at all and the visual way in which this book describes HTML makes it so
straightforward to learn everything you need to know to build a static website plus once you have finished the book you can use it as a reference guide so you get two books for the price of one. As far as I am concerned this book is a MUST for anyone wishing to learn HTML4, it is well written, well laid out and Elizabeth Castro's writing style just infuses the reader with confidence and a hunger for learning. BUY IT -
YOU WON'T REGRET IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction, 10 Sep 2001
I started my HTML by using the WYSIWYG editors but soon found this limiting. After reading this book although I would not want to create HTML from scratch, I now prototype it using WYSIWYG but now finish if off by editing the HTML directly in an HTML editor. Very good supporting website . The chart on colours is very useful, as is the particle advice on images and frames. Lots of good advice on what HTML works with the widest possible number of browsers. While not an extensive reference, it has enough to get you to an intermediate to advanced level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners in web page design!, 18 April 2001
By A Customer
I read the Complete Idiot's Guide to HTML and got utterly fed up with all the "don't worry" approach - all I wanted was to know what I could do, how it would look in HTML and how it would look on the web page. That's exactly what this book does - it's a brilliant visual guide which lets you grasp the vital stuff within no time. I've now written my first HMTL page for the company Intranet within a couple of days. If you are starting out on the web - go for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB !! 4 March 2002, 4 Mar 2002
By A Customer
After trying a few books that were supposed to be easy to follow, i found this gem. This book IS easy to follow and is perfect for beginners. I started a course at my local college and after 4 weeks, thanks to this book, i am now developing web pages like a pro. If you are looking for a book on HTML to study at home or to accompany a college course then BUY THIS BOOK NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 29 May 2007
Rachel Joy Winspear "Raggsie" (Malaga, Spain) - See all my reviews
This was the first book I bought to be able to learn HTML and do web design. I still use it as a referance and think it can teach you a lot about HTML and basic design.

Id recommed it to any one who was starting out!

HTML 4 for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides)
HTML 4 for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides) by Elizabeth Castro (Paperback - 20 Oct 1999)
Used & New from: 0.01