Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 April 2014
Bought this to go along with my OU S205 course which doesn't really explain things very well after waffling on for pages. I could refer to this book and understand the subjects introduced. A lot of other students on this course also bought this book and it came highly recommended to me.
on 26 February 2014
My first degree, many years ago. was in chemistry and physics. As I now tutor the Holy Trinity (maths, chemistry and physics) I wanted to make sure my chemistry was up to date, and at a somewhat higher level than A-level / IB Diploma. This book fills that need perfectly. I'm reading it cover to cover, and the first 1000 or so pages have not disappointed.

If only there where more books like this.
on 31 August 2013
Having done a Chemistry degree more than 25 years ago I bought this to see how far educational books had moved into the teaching area - fantastic illustrations, clear explanations - laid out for good highlighting and clear appreciation of key facts and issues in chemistry. Covers the broad subject matter, but would require specific books for greater detail on Organic, Inorganic and Physical chemistry. That said - this is a good book!
on 24 September 2015
About to start degree chem, and I have to say this is a great textbook, presents the info in a very nice manner so its easy to read as well as understand. It's also written in such a way to flow from one section to the next (for example from physical chemistry into organic chemistry of the same topic), rather than how it usually is broken up between completely separate textbooks, making things much more understandable and all-encompassing.

The only complaint I have is that it can rush through things quickly, however given the size of the text and how much it covers, this in understandable, and if your willing to spend enough times with the questions it gives, isn't a problem, thuis the text still gets the full monty 5 star.
on 2 December 2015
This is an excellent 'whole of chemistry' book to keep handy on the Kindle. It's up to date and has helpful 'boxes' on the ozone layer, portable hair straighteners which use catalysed oxidation of hydrocarbon gas (I didn't know anything about them) etc.
on 13 April 2014
Brilliant. Interesting and up to date chemistry. Would definitely use this in our teaching and will order copies for all staff plus extra copies for the students.
on 13 June 2016
One of the best undergraduate chemistry books you can buy. This was recommended to me by several professors and after using it for my exams I can see why. I would definitely recommend this to anyone studying undergraduate chemistry or a chemistry related degree. The price is definitely worth it for success in your university exams.
on 2 October 2014
Purchased for my daughter who wanted some wider reading as background to her chemistry A2, as she hope to study chemistry at university. The layout and style is very engaging and her feedback is that the content is extremely useful and well written.
on 4 February 2015
It's a great book, excepting an absolute howler of a mistake...in the Periodic Table on the inside of the front cover. I imagine others have also spotted this - providing they have the same print batch.
on 19 April 2014
Chemistry3 is without a doubt one of the best general chemistry textbooks on the market. It's explanations are clear and a huge amount has been done to indicate the relevance of chemistry to the modern world. The examples run from simple to challenging which should mean that everyone has something for their level. I would thoroughly recommend the book to any 1st or 2nd year chemistry student.