Published on 1 May 2013 by Cartimand

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice arrangement of quotations, nothing too surprising
This is an interesting enough arrangement of quotations in a small, hardback format, there is a good contents breaking down the topical arrangement by subject, ie ability, boxing, youth, in alphabetical order and there is also an index of author names which further references the subjects the quotations can be found at.

The layout of chapters is fine, its easy...
Published on 27 Mar. 2013 by Lark

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and enjoyable little reference book, but slightly quirky indexing, 1 May 2013
Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I do like to be well equipped with a famous quotation for any occasion and this little gem of a book has already proved its worth in that respect. My first impressions though, were not entirely favourable. Deciding I'd put it to the test by seeing how many quotations from Voltaire - probably my favourite classical author, were included. I was heartened to see multiple entries from the master who truly understood life's great comedy, but no page references. Instead, the reader needs to then cross-refer to the appropriate section (boredom, optimism, work etc.) and then search down to find your chosen author of the bons mots listed in alphabetical sequence. OK, so it's no big deal, but would it have been too much effort to add a page number to the Index of Authors?

Onto the content. 4,000 quotations covering (sometimes rather loosely) 300 subjects. That's a reasonably eclectic collection and yet some obvious categories which would be very rich in witty quotations seem to have been omitted. There are categories for such diverse categories as Australia, Ireland, hospitality, festivals, tennis and such like, but none for the human traits of laziness, stupidity (OK foolishness is a close synonym) or curiosity. Surprisingly, the sections on humour and wit contain nothing by Wilde! Furthermore, where the quotation is from a foreign author, such as the aforementioned Voltaire, I would have appreciated the quotation being presented in the original language as well as the English translation. I guess that would have made for a rather fatter book though, so it would be unfair to mark this down because of that. I don't want to sound over-critical here as, now I'm finding my way around the book with more ease, I do genuinely like this little reference work!

As for the authors themselves, they range from the sublime, who could not be omitted from any book of quotations (Voltaire, Wilde, Shakespeare, Kipling, Aristotle, Orwell etc.) to the ridiculous (George W Bush!).

The book is a pocket-sized hardback and comes with a built-in bookmark ribbon - always a nice touch.

Overall, despite a few minor flaws (or, as Voltaire would say "The best is the enemy of the good") this is an attractive and very usable little reference work which, for under a tenner, is pretty well indispensable. Never cross verbal swords with anyone without it!

My gratitude once again to Amazon Vine - "A joyful and pleasant thing it is to be thankful".

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice arrangement of quotations, nothing too surprising, 27 Mar. 2013
Lark (North Coast of Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The layout of chapters is fine, its easy to find quotes, by searching the topic or author. The quote is in plain text while the authors are in bold. There is also a book mark stitched into the book's spine.

I would have rated this book more highly, it is a good book of its kind, although I could not find any unique selling point which made it better than freely available content either online or in android phone or tablet apps.

3.0 out of 5 stars HMMMM. IT'S OK, DEPENDING WHAT YOU NEED IT FOR., 27 April 2013
Jeff Walmsley "JW" (Wales) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a big fan of the Rolling Stones (my generation, you might say, although I'm just a wee bit older) but even I wouldn't consider that the first line of "Satisfaction" merited an entry alongside Shakespeare and the Bible (the two biggest sources of quotations here). It's hardly something you'd want to throw into a dinner conversation as a "mot juste", and even if you did, you surely wouldn't need a book to remind you of it.

My first dictionary of quotations was the 1959 printing of the main Oxford edition of 1941 (870 pages), and the only songs quoted in there are mostly hymns and such-like. But nowadays, there are plenty of good quotes to be had from popular songs, and films, too, so it's right that some should be included, indeed, I had hoped there would be more. But this little (in every sense) book is intended to have the widest possible appeal, so rationing is enforced, and selection becomes paramount - which, for me at any rate, often leaves something to be desired. In particular, I saw too many in my first browse which folks hardly need reminding of, whose spaces would have been more usefully taken up with more meaningful but less well-known entries.

That said, in 4,000 there have to be some gems, and there are, including mild racist jibes against the French, Scots and Welsh (but not the Germans or the Poles, strangely). I looked up subjects dear to me, and Alan Bennet's suggestion for a notice for the National Gallery struck an immediate chord, "You don't have to like everything". (Try telling that to some of those who've objected to my 1 star reviews of modern art publications or Einaudi's "music"...) But I could find nothing in here to adequately describe my feelings about the current weather.

In terms of value for money, well, it all depends what you need it for; bear in mind that for the same price you could have a nearly new copy of the 1,500 pages of the Chambers Dictionary of Quotations, the best of the four I currently have, which, like this volume, also quotes the likes of Ian Dury and Cole Porter as well as Cicero, Thucydides and Bill Shankly. But you will only find Frank Sinatra, Al Capone and Frank Zappa in the Little volume, and if a little volume is what you need/want, this will do as good as any.

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Oxford Dictionary Of Quotations, 26 Mar. 2013
M. J. Hunter - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although the title of this book is the 'Little Oxford Dictionary Of Quotations' don't be put off by the Little. Admittedly the book only measures around 6" x 4" it is nearly 1 1/2" thick. Within its covers are 4000 quotations arranged over 300 subjects. Whilst not a book in the sense that you would sit down and read it from cover to cover it is a little gold mine of quotations to be plucked as and when the need arises. A lot of traditional quotations are here going back through time but these are balanced with modern, up to date sayings so you should never be stuck for a phrase or saying when needed.
A welcome little addition to my bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars I quote others only the better to express myself (Montaigne), 27 April 2013
Jenny (Manchester, Uk) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love reference books and in particular books of Quotations because you can spend many an hour flicking through all sorts of topics and instantly get various opinions on them. This book is taken from the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations and has 4,000 quotes on various subjects from A to Y (guess there's no subject beginning with Z?) from Ability to Youth. There's even a short section on the subject of Quotes! It has to be said that many of these quotes will be known to a great deal of people, for example THAT line from When Harry Met Sally when it comes to Sex. These quotes are the most well known, if you are looking for something more rare and perhaps therefore thought provoking this may not be the Quote book for you. However as a general coffee table quote book this is a lovely addition although I do think its unfortunate that the front cover of the book is so old fashioned, it resembles a gardening book.
The best feature of this book for my money is the 'Index of Authors' which not only lists the authors Quoted but even tells you what topics they commented on. Using this I know that George Orwell quotes feature in various topics from Advertising to Sport.

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat and compact, 5 May 2013
SJSmith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't have an every day need for a quotation so this compact version is the perfect size for me. I know I'll use a quote unintentionally but if I need one for something specific then this is great. I've had quotation books before and found use in them but I do like the smaller version that this offers. It is nice sometimes to add a quote into cards that you're sending to people and often looking for an apt one is challenging. I've read through looking for those instances that I've had to use the internet for recently and found some good ones that I could've used. With 300 categories there's something for everyone from a very modern quotes to your more traditional. Clearly not a book that many people would read from cover to cover and I'll continue to find many surprises in it long after this review has been published.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, useful little book, 15 May 2013
Mr. K. P. Rogers "rogers_kp" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, this book is exactly what it says on the cover... it's a little book of quotations. There are loads of them, and whilst I'd never sit down and read it for even fifteen minutes, I do like picking it up for a couple and flick through it randomly, seeing what I alight on; it's always interesting.

It's also great for peppering greetings cards with apt quotes, or one's speeches and such things. I can't fault it, really. It's all well presented, and well indexed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth The Investment !, 20 Jun. 2013
Michael Scott "www.nowillpowerrequired.co.uk" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a copywriter and hence I am always looking for soundbites and quotes, I know there are loads of free internet websites out there with quotes galore but I am quite old fashioned and always find the value of a book so much higher than a webpage. This little book of quotations is small in size but large in terms of value and you can always find something very relevant. Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect gift book, 3 May 2013
Love Books "Jessie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a gorgeous little book, beautifully designed, easy to navigate and packed full of quotations, including some very modern ones.

It's a perfect addition to any bookshelf and would make a great gift for writers, readers, quizzers, or anyone who enjoys dipping in and out of some of the great minds of our time, and before.

Wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars little Oxford Book of Quotations, 2 May 2013
R. Gardner "Corriebob" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly I enjoy Quotations, we all know some, Some we do not know who said them and this is where this little gem comes in. The quotations come under alphabetical subject headings and if you were for instance making up that important speech and need that killer line to finish or start on, most likely it will be here. There are bigger books and yes there is obviously much more in them, but this is a handy size, I love dipping into it when having a break. Lots of the quotes you will realise that you are very familiar with but not who said them.
Small, useful, easy to read and if you can put it to use all the better. for me enjoyable.

Little Oxford Dictionary of Quotations
Little Oxford Dictionary of Quotations by Susan Ratcliffe (Hardcover - 11 Oct. 2012)