4.0 out of 5 stars Good but difficult
Published 17 months ago by abilone166

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing
I bought this book to give me a basic introduction to the faith, what was involved and why and what it said about salvation. In fact I found it more about current political issues in Islam. If that is what you are looking for that is fine but it did not do what I needed it to do for me.
Published 20 months ago by C Bewley

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but difficult, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Islam: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) (Paperback)
This is very good as an introduction to Islam but I did find the early chapters slightly confusing - not because it is badly written (it isn't) but simply because the early history of Islam is very confusing - the early doctrinal shifts. In other words, I suppose I would have preferred it to be even shorter and simpler. But that is a reflection of me. I certainly finished the book with a clearer understanding of what is happening in the modern world - which is what I wanted - and I finished the book with an increased admiration for Islam - a much-misunderstood religion. The maps are excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 22 April 2014
I bought this book because it is recommended for an OU course. I am not Moslem so I needed a fairly basic introduction. Some books I looked at are so basic that they would insult almost anyone's intelligence, while others are aimed at people who already have a sound knowledge. This book is pitched at exactly the right level for the intelligent beginner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basics of islam, 19 Aug 2013
The book is a taster to the basics of islam. Simple terms used with little mixing of theology. For those who want an overveiw if islam I would recommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 16 Jan 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars good overview, 5 May 2014
Good little guide which gives all the information you need to understand Islam at a glance. Well written and informative

4.0 out of 5 stars Very readable, 15 Oct 2013
N. J. Parker (UK) - See all my reviews
I needed an overview of Islam that was relatively easy to digest and this book offers that. Only half way through.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Short Introduction - Islam, 8 April 2013
Not such a good rating as, compared with other books of a similar nature, this one was informative but very difficult to read and understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 27 Mar 2013
good for getting an overview of Islam - I bought this book as I am now teaching Hinduism and it is good to have a basic idea of the religion

3.0 out of 5 stars ... thorough introduction to a complex religion and can be recommended for that, 27 July 2014
J. Holmes "Old Hobbs" (Ottawa Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a thorough introduction to a complex religion and can be recommended for that. However if you are looking for a quick "reason" for Sunni wanting to kill Shia and vice versa, look elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the cover, 6 Aug 2014
This is not a spiritual guide to Islam. It is a fairly dense but brief introduction to the history of Islam as a religion and a political ideology. I downloaded it because I wanted to have a better understanding of its origins, the rise of Islamic sectarianism, it's teachings and impact in the world theatre today, without having to wade through any translated religious texts or spending an undue amount of time on the exercise. Although, I felt at the outset this text was probably aimed at someone with a better than passing acquaintance with the topic, I found it pretty easy to get through and do feel better informed. Not sure how much wiser I am though! The author gives a pretty unbiased account although he does offer his own conclusions at the very end. Good Kindle copy and recommend for people who want that brief overview.

Islam: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Islam: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) by Malise Ruthven (Paperback - 26 Jan 2012)
5.59