Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 October 2007
This is the first dictionary I reach for if I want to find a definition of a word. It's also the first book I reach for if I want information on a famous person, or need to know where a particular place is.

In short, it's a dictionary and encyclopedia in one very handy size.

Plus points:
> it's easy to find any of the 120,00 definitions: the letter markers are visible from the outside.
> includes a thorough mid-section on famous people and places
> plentiful grammar and usage boxes (e.g. between diffuse and defuse).

Oh yes, it's also less than £8. A literal bargain.
11 comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 August 2012
It's a dictionary! However, positioned between the "h" and the "i" reference letters is a 146 page section titled "Factfinder". I find this a seriously irritating impediment to looking up words. What could possibly be the logic!
on 22 February 2012
We did need a dictionary as my daughter progresses through the school years and i hope she will reffer to the spelling herself. Happy with the quality just the font is a bit small for me:-) need to put my reading glasses lol.
on 26 March 2011
As my title suggests, consider this a pocket dictionary... that's too big for your pocket. As the description mentions, it's an everyday use dictionary but i'm doubtful that it'll be all you need. It's certainly not the type of dictionary that you'll want on your desk for you to turn to with confidence when you run into an uncommon word. Stay away if that's what you're looking for.

Good dictionary for doing crosswords or something due to it being a nice size to handle, which is why i gave it 2 star as opposed 1.
on 13 August 2011
This product is just as described and great for value although not every word I use is in this dictionary, but can be found in a more expensive version. So I guess you get what you pay for, but still perfect for A-Level students due to price and simpleness of use.
On the other hand the product came before it's expected date. :)
on 14 May 2009
I was a bit disappointed because I was looking for a dictionary to look up phonetic and meaning while reading books in English.
This dictionary is comprehensive, but it clusters several related terms with the main word and sometimes you can be confused. I don't like the "figurative" phonetic nomenclature nor the fact not all words have phonetic description (A word phonetic might be trivial for a native but not for a foreigner!). All in all, it is a good dictionary if you don't want to spend much money and you need a light and comprehensive dictionary.
on 1 November 2012
This dictionary is a waste of money. Every single word I've wanted to look up has been missing from this edition. I've had to borrow my Dad's edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary to find them.

Don't cheap out like I did and go for one of the more expensive editions that actually contains a reasonable number of words.
on 14 November 2007
I bought it for our kids as a reference book. They sit and read it! The only thing is, it doesn't have the rude words in I remember looking up up as a child.

Also has handy 'usage' boxes which gives direction on how some words cam be used.

Well worth getting in my opinion.
on 17 March 2012
I was surprised that the OED contained more information that just words. The additional info has already proved useful - world, famous people, measurements etc. An excellent buy at a reasonable cost.
on 10 March 2012
Really compact dictionary, and easy-to-read text print. Handy section in the middle also features, with encyclopaedic snippets of information for certain proper noun & factual references.