Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 March 2014
lovely dictionary with huge selection of words. Useful for teens, adults, and advanced readers, build the habit and skill of referencing in a dictionary. Arrived in a timely manner.
on 20 August 2015
We bought this dictionary because we like to play word games--it's fine for this, but the layout of the book is ridiculous, with sections containing all sorts of info you probably won't be interested in slap bang in the middle of the book--I cannot for the life of me fathom why they placed these sections in such a horribly inconvenient place, but they did. Also--since they have "modernized" and "updated" the word selection, you will probably need an older version at hand as well to avoid marital disputes when arguing the validity of a word during Scrabble or Quiddler!
on 31 December 2011
Quite simply the best dictionary you can get for the price. Superb for everyday use and a bit more. Amazon's speedy dispatch meant I only waited a a day on it coming.
on 20 October 2013
Wow! This is more than a disctionary, with shedloads of info on topics. Even better, all the aspects are in alphabetical order, which makes them really easy to look up... What a great idea!

It's also a useful size to carry around in my bag for study away from home and, as a paperback, is not too heavy. A1 forthe study-conscious student.

If I had to pick any holes, I'd say that the plot of this book was a little hard to follow, with no real characters to enable engagement with any story. I'll probably go back to buying novels for that.
on 15 February 2013
I bought this as 'the household' disctionary. I don't want specific medical or industrial terms. Just all the words my kids need to get through school and beyond, and all the info I need to help them with their homework and awekward questions that all kids ask.
It does all of this and more. Nice and thick, cheap to buy, comprehensive enough.
It has a fact finding section in the middle. Sure, this would be better at the back but who cares. Some helpful conversion tables there.
A good buy, good value for money.
on 12 October 2014
The almanac section will become dated so seems inappropriate to include with a dictionary. Dictionary part seemed to have excluded many words that I would expect to see used and included overly simple definitions for many compound terms.

For example, on radio 4 heard use of the word "discombobulate" which I vaguely knew but was not in dictionary.

So seems to fall between a dictionary and an encyclopedia and not do either job well. On the other hand, for the price you get what you pay for.
on 17 April 2012
I bought this Oxford dictionary as a gift for my Nan to replace her tiny Pocket Collins Dictionary. The smallest things can make you a favourite Grandchild. She uses it to aid her crossword, however this book offers much more. With certain interesting words, it informs you of the origins and similar words of meaning which, as far as I have experienced, makes a good read from a dictionary. Use this book for reference and you might find yourself in possession of knowledge you never knew existed. Top marks.
on 22 February 2014
Nothing wrong with this item but should have bought something with a lot more definitions...did not help very much at all for doing the DT crossword, lol.

That said ideal for pre GCSE level students, perhaps, but limited for A level and beyond.
on 4 February 2012
Very good value for compact English dictionary. We have a much larger one for Scrabble arguments, but this is much more portable.
on 14 May 2013
Well worth the price. I bought this with the Thesaurus, and very helpful in its simple definitions for up to date words. As with some dictionaries, it does not a have specific helpful supplement to improve writing skills in the case of complaints, business or job applications etc., yet it fully compensates for that. It has a Factfinder in its centre section, rather handy and useful for pub quizzes. As expected with OEP,well worth the price.