5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating
Maybe it's a sign of middle age but I find the derivation of place names fascinating - especially when played as a guessing game in the car. This book is an authoritative and mainly very plausible reference to place names. I've only found one or two that are not included - this makes the perfect book for the car, or the smallest room.
Published on 23 Feb. 2012 by Kev Partner

3.0 out of 5 stars Wanted, but...
I was given this book from my Wish List for Fathers' Day. My initial reaction is disappointing. I tried 3 places, one we had lived in and two we holidayed in (New Haw, Marloes, Melvich) and NONE of them was in. But hopefully it'll take the place of a long departed Readers Digest British Isles Atlas that had such a list, but was definitely not a pocket book!
Published 19 months ago by Icthus49

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 23 Feb. 2012
Kev Partner "Writer, geek, dad." (Alton, Hamshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars Driving made fun, 14 Feb. 2013
This review is from: A Dictionary of British Place-Names (Paperback)
When I am driving around the countryside and for many years I wondered "What does that funny village name means?". I bought this book and found it to be well laid out, very educational and fun. Makes a great book to leave on your coffee table. It always get picked up and the reader ends up engrossed and having a laugh at some of the names. Great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Double dip, 10 Jun. 2012
This review is from: A Dictionary of British Place-Names (Paperback)
Bought this as a christmas present for my parents. I was having trouble knowing what to buy for them and saw this suggested in a sunday supplement, as they love to travel around the British Isles i thought it would be a good novelty present. However it's so much more than that and they are thrilled with it. Great to keep in the car when you are out travelling and wondering why towns and villages have such unusual names. They are yet to find a place not listed and i would certainly recommend this book as a gift for those tricky customers who have everything!

5.0 out of 5 stars xmas gift for son, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: A Dictionary of British Place-Names (Paperback)
fab, my son was thrilled, lovely idea for a gift, easy to find information, would reccommend this to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars FROM A WISH LIST!, 5 Dec. 2012
This review is from: A Dictionary of British Place-Names (Paperback)
Bought as a stocking filler and warmly received by my daughter in law. What a very interesting compilation. I might buy one for myself. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dictionary of British Place Names, 5 Dec. 2011
This review is from: A Dictionary of British Place-Names (Paperback)
Very informative and interesting to read. Have had fun looking up places that I have visited or lived in. I am just a little surprised that so many Republic Of Ireland place names are included in a dictionary of British place names though. However as I have been to Eire on several holidays I find the descriptions just as fascinating!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating book for nerdy travellers like me, 14 Jun. 2014
This review is from: A Dictionary of British Place-Names (Paperback)
This is one of my favourite ever books & a must-have on a UK road trip. Fascinating to dip into to find out the origins of all those funny place names you've wondered about & it's surprising how many really places are included. There were, however, quite a few places in Cornwall missing. If you like this book, check out 'Origin of Words', which is also brilliant.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wanted, but..., 17 Jun. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than Interesting, 4 Mar. 2014
This review is from: A Dictionary of British Place-Names (Paperback)
Just as it says on the tin, or at least the cover, a book to dip into at any time and find out what means what

5.0 out of 5 stars Dictionary lovers dream, 16 Jun. 2013
This review is from: A Dictionary of British Place-Names (Paperback)
A really interesting dictionary covering major place names of England and Scotland. Not too much information per entry and basically very informative.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A Dictionary of British Place-Names
A Dictionary of British Place-Names by David Mills (Paperback - 20 Oct. 2011)