5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent evolution of the classic journalism law textbook
I must congratulate the joint authors/editors, Mark Hanna and Mike Dodd, on taking on the development of a new edition of the standard essential law for journalists textbook covering the UK.
Published on 11 Jun. 2012 by T. Crook

2.0 out of 5 stars The book is great but kindle edition isn't
Published 23 months ago by Tash

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent evolution of the classic journalism law textbook, 11 Jun. 2012
T. Crook (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: McNae's Essential Law for Journalists (Paperback)
They are so well-qualified to cope with the task- one (Hanna) now a respected academic in the journalism education field at Sheffield University, and the other (Dodd) a legendary editor of the Press Association's 'Media Lawyer.'

They have managed to brilliantly and accurately assimilate the whirlwind changes in primary (case law and legislation) and secondary media law (regulation), have slimmed down the printed book and developed an effective companion web-site. As something of an old hand myself in teaching media law, I take my hat off to them, will order the book for our library, and recommend it to my students.

The difficulty we all face in this field, and so do our trainees and journalism students, is the dangerous and continuing assault on media freedom and open justice in Britain, combined with the disturbing political moral panic accompanying the ongoing Leveson Inquiry.

Stability, consistency, logic, basic standards of rule of law, and freedom of expression are fragile quantities, as anybody reading the balanced and neutral presentation of the issues in this edition will certainly find.

*****
In the light of the scandal about fake, malicious and manipulated reviews on Amazon, I am happy to declare that I have very limited professional acquaintance with the 2 authors. Mike Dodd has published one article (unpaid)that I wrote for PA Media Law Newsletter. I paid for the copy of the book I reviewed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to read, 9 Dec. 2012
This review is from: McNae's Essential Law for Journalists (Paperback)
I am a journalism student and I bought this book for a media law class. It is very easy to read, it makes law simple to understand! I would usually sell my books on after reading them, but this is one I'll be keeping for future reference! Would definitely recommend for other students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: McNae's Essential Law for Journalists (Paperback)
If you are studying Media Law or Journalism then you definitely need this book. I bought this for my university course but there is a lot of information you need to know for when you are out in the field. The book has examples to help explain a lot of points and it tells you everything in regards to Media Law.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive and comprehensive, 15 Jun. 2014
B. Elliott (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Great starting point, but can see it ending up the only thing I need as MD of a marketing agency. Clear, good explanations. Definitely rate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for Journalism students!, 4 Dec. 2013
This review is from: McNae's Essential Law for Journalists (Paperback)
This book really helped me with my media law module at university. It has everything inside that could possibly help you with, whether it be for essays or just to help you expand more and give you a better understanding.

A great buy, money well spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Woohoo., 24 Nov. 2013
This review is from: McNae's Essential Law for Journalists (Paperback)
Has everything I needed to know.
Very informative, there isn't too much it doesn't cover.
Can't wait to use it on Monday.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mutton dressed as lamb, 19 Sept. 2013
This review is from: McNae's Essential Law for Journalists (Paperback)
I have been using different editions of this book for a long time. Been a while since I saw a new one and the latest offering has been suibjected to a lot of decorative typography. It used to look like a law book. Now it looks like a website. Content still much the same, though. The book is comprehensive, up-to-date and concentrates on the practical stuff. For my taste it's a bit cautious in its advice on some topics. This is the book your libel insurer hopes you will read. If you want to be a star investigative reporter Robertson and Nichol pay more attention to what you can get away with. If you want to pass the proficiaency cert law exam then this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for a journalism student, 28 April 2013
This review is from: McNae's Essential Law for Journalists (Paperback)
I brought this book for a media, law and ethics class that I had in journalism at university. It's well laid out, has everything you need to know and makes law really simple to understand - something that I thought would be a hard task! My lecturers told me to buy this book and I can see why, definitely won't be selling it on.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for journalism students., 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: McNae's Essential Law for Journalists (Paperback)
This book has just helped me pass my Media Law exam, and it's a must-have for journalism students who want to work with a newspaper or as a court reporter. All the information is up to date and there are case studies to illustrate points. I found it extremely helpful and I'm sure I'll be referring to it in years to come if I end up working for a newspaper.

2.0 out of 5 stars The book is great but kindle edition isn't, 13 Feb. 2013
I bought this as a kindle edition, to find that it has been scanned and no compatible with my Kindle. I can download it to my computer, and my phone's kindle app (and my boyfriends tablet) but they are not ideal for taking into lectures and working from (its fine using it on my laptop when at home, but I need the textbook during lectures too, which I would use the kindle for). I quickly returned the book once I learned this, which was very easy. It is ridiculous paying such money for a kindle edition that does not actually work on the kindle.
EXTREMELY disappointed with Amazon.

McNae's Essential Law for Journalists
McNae's Essential Law for Journalists by Mike Dodd (Paperback - 29 Mar. 2012)
Used & New from: £4.67