5.0 out of 5 stars Truly excellent
Truly excellent: Covered everything I wanted to know about madness and more. It approaches the subject from an historical angle. Would certainly recommend it.
Published on 17 Oct 2012 by James Robert Benson

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to read
Published on 18 Mar 2012 by Casual reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly excellent, 17 Oct 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good Very Short Introduction, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Madness: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) (Paperback)
Andrew Scull approaches an enormous and compelling subject with remarkable clarity and concision without ever slipping into perfunctory analysis. That he is a leading scholar in the history and sociology of mental illness is immediately apparent, yet his account is wonderfully accessible and engaging for all. He is adroit in his articulation of the many paradigmatic shifts that have occurred in the understanding and treatment of mental illness. Nor is this a Whiggish account of uniform progress. He is appropriately robust in his handling of the pseudo-scientific Freudian mumbo-jumbo that engulfed psychology and psychiatry for far too long. The current hegemony of pharmacological approaches is also treated to a far from eulogic assessment. Perhaps the most appealing quality of Andrew Scull's excellent book is that it is mercifully free from the jargon and depressingly mechanistic theory-laden approaches that have frequently infected studies in the history of medicine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to read, 18 Mar 2012
I LOVE the Very Short Introductions - I am huge fan. But this time I am a little bit disappointed. I am not a native speaker but I use English on a daily basis, and this book was so difficult to read that I could actually not finish it. I was sitting with a dictionary next to me every time I started to read and breaking up my reading to look up half the words in a sentence made it impossible to actually enjoy it!. Apart from that, I expected something slightly more scientific, not historic, from this book. The historical account of Madness and how it was treated throughout the centuries, though very interesting, was a bit to much - it killed my curiosity about the subject pretty fast. I wanted to know something more about the actual mechanisms behind madness, why people get mad, what happens with their brain (if it is the reason for madness) or is the mind that gets distorted. I did not get an answer - at least it is not within the first 70 pages of the book. If you are not a native speaker - be prepared!

4.0 out of 5 stars Madness: A very short introduction, 15 Nov 2011
The item was received as described and promptly and was a very useful book, as our all the short intorudction books.

Madness: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Madness: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) by Andrew Scull (Paperback - 25 Aug 2011)