I really enjoy Hill's poetry and find I can read much of it aloud on first sight because the words flow so easily.
Some critics say he is obscure but I manage to understand at least 80% of his references because of my wide
reading, extensive travel, conversations with wise and learned people and love of history. The remainder I can
look up. The poems are...
Published 7 months ago by Mr. P. Milner

3.0 out of 5 stars Climbing this Hill needs the proper gear
Published 10 months ago by Professus

3.0 out of 5 stars Climbing this Hill needs the proper gear, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: Broken Hierarchies: Poems 1952-2012 (Hardcover)
Challenged by Hill's reputation as the greatest living poet and, particularly, as a highly allusive one, I was happy to wait over a year to get hold of his collected work (so far?) and see how it influences me. I was disappointed with the complete lack of introduction and notes - especially coming from OUP and Kenneth Haynes. (Compare this academic product with 'Geoffrey Hill - Collected Critical Writings'). I believe that part of the joy/meaning of poetry for the reader is identifying/understanding references. Something of a lost necessity then, this important book may be beyond reach for most of us - it threatens to turn a difficult Hill into an impassable mountain.

5.0 out of 5 stars A huge collection of magic words stretching back through 60 years, 17 May 2014
Mr. P. Milner "Peter Milner" (Mid Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken Hierarchies: Poems 1952-2012 (Hardcover)
look up. The poems are full of mystery and power and just seem to get better the more of them you read
It is now among my absolute favourite books of poetry.
The only sorrow is that we are unlikely to be gifted many more

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Poetry Book, 30 Dec 2013
Andrew Jackson (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken Hierarchies: Poems 1952-2012 (Hardcover)
Well done. Great breadth of his poems. It is also a great reference book of great poetry. Thank you Geoffrey

Broken Hierarchies: Poems 1952-2012
Broken Hierarchies: Poems 1952-2012 by Geoffrey Hill (Hardcover - 28 Nov 2013)