Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 July 2015
I have bought this book to study Psychiatry as a fourth year medical student. I chose this one after having a glance over a lot of other Psychiatry books, and I liked this one because it looked like the most balanced of all. It seemed to cover all the important information a student has to know and at the same time keeping the book non-overwhelming for the student.
In fact, it did. Maybe this book will not give you the broadest knowledge about Psychiatry, but it will cover the important points without being too extensive. You can even make it less extensive by skipping the Etiology parts. These parts seem to follow the basic rule that, the less we know about something, the more we have to say about it. Most of these parts can be safely skipped without losing important information, but it is better to keep in mind that it may still contain something important.
Other thing that left me quite amazed was the first chapter. I had always thought that Psychiatry and Psychopathology textbooks were always separate volumes. But Oxford's Shorter Textbook of Psychiatry includes a brief chapter on Psychopathology which, while not being as extensive as a true Psychopathology textbook, is great at explaining the main manifestations of psychiatric disorders!
By now, its greatest fault is only not being accordingly to DSM-5. That made things a little harder while studying, but nothing serious. It is true a lot of things have changed, but most are minor changes, and you can always find online the major changes to DSM-IV-TR. Well, a new edition is likely on its way, so this fault will soon be corrected - and I myself will want a copy of that edition!
This textbook exceeded all my expectations. I only give it five stars because I cannot give any more. If I could go back in time, would I buy it again? Absolutely, no question about it!
on 21 September 2015
Before I bought this book I was skeptical of psychiatry. The authors explore the subject in a detailed yet clear manner. They acknowledge the strengths and weaknesses of the discipline, and cover everything this medical student needs to know.
on 4 December 2014
Complete book if you are looking for a basic reading in Psychiatry
on 20 January 2016
A good book to have for psychiatry trainee.
on 22 November 2014
Good book for getting into basics of psych
on 8 May 2013
So much easier having this on my kindle than trying to cart the book around as I need to access it alot.
on 6 November 2014
great item
on 5 December 2014
Excellent
on 14 September 2014
arrived punctually In suitable wrapping and contained the material that I expected.
on 24 October 2013
Book was in very good condition and good price too, This book is equally good for students and senior psychiatrists