5.0 out of 5 stars Still my preferred dictionary
Published on 3 Nov 2011 by Garry P. Humphreys

3.0 out of 5 stars Oxford! What more can I say?
Published 22 months ago by gafferaffer

5.0 out of 5 stars Still my preferred dictionary, 3 Nov 2011
Garry P. Humphreys "garryph" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Concise Oxford English Dictionary: Main edition (Hardcover)
Having missed the two previous editions of the Concise Oxford I thought it was time for a new one, particularly in the COD's centenary year (a very nice facsimile of the first edition has also just been published). This twelfth edition is a particularly successful one, in terms of design, paper and format and, strangely, I've consulted it more in the few weeks since I've had it than I looked at its predecessor over several years! It is still my preferred dictionary and this edition definitely does not disappoint. The Fowlers would be more than happy with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oxford English dictionary, 26 Feb 2013
There is no need to go on endlessly about this dictionary. It is as good as one expects it to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise Oxford English Dictionary, 31 Jan 2012
Quite a different style to the old book I have printed in the 70's. Very informative on how a word can have different meaning with the same speeling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oxford concise dictionary, 23 May 2013
I recently purchased a rival dictionary (Collins) and was rather disappointed with it. The Oxford concise suits my needs much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oxford English Dictionary, 6 Jan 2012
My husband was very pleased with his new dictionary as he does crosswords and his old one was worn out. The new dictionary contains words that have been recently added to the English language.

4.0 out of 5 stars WHY BUY A CD?, 1 Jan 2014
I have a well used hardback copy of the COED on my bookshelf, so why also buy it on CD? The obvious answer for laptop owners is that is is easier than carrying a 3lb book around with you. It is also quicker to look up a word than thumbing through a 1,680 page book.

Much more important is that you can do much more with it than with a paper copy. Its helps you spell those difficult words where your spellchecker does not help. I wonder how many of us can spell diarrhoea without checking. Use a wild card search - dia*a - copy the word and paste it into your document.

Then there are the words your don't know how to pronounce. Is a lieutenant a "left-tenant" or a "loo-tenant"? You can press a loudspeaker icon to hear the pronunciation. I now know how to say "guacamole" without making a fool of myself.

For crossword lovers there are anagram and crossword solver options. Can you name 6 anagrams of "triangle"?

Unfortunately the dictionary is badly let down by the software. I was surprised how quickly the program had installed when I got an install completed message. In fact it still had to install the dictionary itself. The greatest weakness is its hogging of the screen by always remaining on top. Every time you want to return to your document you have to click the diminish symbol.

Four stars. That is 5 stars for the dictionary itself, but only 3 for the software.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oxford! What more can I say?, 25 Oct 2012
I bought this dictionary so that I could have a handy reference on my Windows 7 64-bit computer. What a disappointment. The dictionary itself is not too bad if all you are seeking is the most common words and slang; but for me it appears to have a rather limited vocabulary. Many words I try to look up are not included, and these are simply ordinary, not specialist, English words. To make matters worse, the search results have been pared to the bone: no synonyms or antonyms; no examples of usage; and only the scantiest information about etymology.

Then there is the software itself. This looks as if it was written when Windows was just a futuristic dream. It is basic in the extreme, and operates with difficulty on a modern PC. It frequently freezes when opening; throws up a meaningless Error Code every time it is started, for which there is no support offered; and fails to automatically highlight the search box when you wish to look up a new word.

All in all I feel that it is a poor effort, especially when one considers the high opinion which Oxford University Press has of itself. It is not a patch on the old Encarta which was originally a stand-alone programme, then was included with Microsoft Student; and now, sadly, is no more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 April 2012
L. Orchard (UK.) - See all my reviews
This dictionary is an excellent compromise between the pocket sized dictionaries and the full version which stretches to several huge volumes. It's small enough to keep it handy,near your desk and big enough to contain most of those words that appear in academic volumes. Very good value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 15 Feb 2013
Not too much to say about a dictionary. This was well laid out and the type face was sufficiently bold for a 70+ person to see however, the paper does seem slightly thin hence a 4* rather than a 5*.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dictionary, 28 Sep 2012
Hardback copy, clear print, easy to find correct letter, pages are printed on rather thin paper but fine for home use.

Concise Oxford English Dictionary: Main edition
Concise Oxford English Dictionary: Main edition by Oxford Dictionaries (Hardcover - 18 Aug 2011)
15.00