on 18 December 2003
This is the best, and most comprehensive guide to social science research methods currently available. It is extremely clear with plenty of examples and a user-friendly layout. It is very up-to-date and well written. The author is an established expert on methodology who has made important original contributions to the development of research methods. For most purposes, the only book you need on social research.
Martin Holborn
on 13 June 2005
I've almost read all the research texts so far, and this is the best book in the feild of social/business research, especially for postgraduate students.
on 28 December 2012
I bought the book to study for a social methods assessment day and although very long (700 plus pages) it really helped me to revise and to learn about new concepts and methods. I have only used a small number of research methods textbooks but I woud highly recommend this one especially for what you get as well as the case studies which are used throughout to illustrate concepts and research methods.
on 25 May 2015
This is an absolute must have for anyone studying or working in the field of sociology and/or social/policy research! It is the most comprehensive text on research methods I own (and I own a few!). It covers every level of learner from Undergraduate right up to PhD (although for PhD see also Silverman on qualitative methods).

As it is soley writen by Bryman, as opposed to edited publications, the drawback is that it only offers his insight. I use the edited Gilbert's 'Researching Social Life' as a companion to this just to add secondary assurance to my methods.
on 10 September 2012
This masterpiece by Alan Bryman is a must read for researchers in the social science domain. I needed a proper guide to understanding research parameters in the Social Sciences and this book has provided me a very easy-to-understand read.
on 31 May 2013
This book got me through my degree.

An excellent book to dip into for various research methods, with plenty of examples and further reading. I bought this book originally for a research methods module taken at university, but found it useful across many assignments and my dissertation. A must-have for students of the social sciences.

Although this edition has been superseded, I found no problems with out-of-date content. It was thorough, easy to use, and well-written.
on 22 May 2013
I bought this book in the hopes that it would help me with my degree (Currently a student in Criminology) and this book has been an absolute lifesaver.
on 18 January 2014
It was recommended reading, so I decided to buy it jointly with my boyfriend. It has been so useful, and thats without even using all the online resources it comes with! It's laid out very clearly, and has sections for both qualitative and quantitative research. Don't start a dissertation without one!
on 5 December 2015
This will be a very heavy read for students not familiar with social research methods. I have found it quite difficult to get to grips with the terminologies in the book which on the face of it might seem obvious ie interpretivism but on the other hand means something totally different. The reader will have to be truly dedicated and enthusiastic about the subject to get through each chapter. Still it is a well written book on a specialist subject matter
on 1 November 2015
Wonderful book, has helped me immensely in my undergraduate course so far. The book was delivered the next day so I didnt need to wait at all which was fantastic.

The packaging was great - the book was well protected and had no creases or folds which was excellent!

I would highly recommend to anyone looking to do research in any social science field - this book has it all :)