on 22 August 2013
I have known earlier versions of this text for a long time and finally decided to buy a copy to help with a project developing detailed guidance on some particular aspects of methods. There have been some significant changes in this latest version of an old favourite and they make the volume more useful to both research supervisors and students. I have not used the book to help with business research so my interest is on the academic utility of the book.

The opening part of the book covers important matters of approach, ontology and epistemology, covering these topics in a simple, easily assimilated manner that students will appreciate and their supervisors should find helpful when teaching. Later parts cover specific techniques effectively with plenty of short case studies and examples. I found the chapter on interviews very helpful mainly as it covered some of the more tricky aspects such as ethics, data coding and analysis in a common sense manner.

Overall, this is a good text book and good value for money. Many libraries already use this as their standard text for research methods and this version will, I am sure, be viewed favourably.

There is a companion website which students may find helpful and there is additional material for supervisors but I have not used this yet.
on 7 February 2012
I am currently doing an Masters degree and out of all the books available, this is the one I purchased. I have to admit that it was worth getting.

Even though I prefer books which are concise and straight the point, considering the different contrasting concepts within the subject of research which need to be examined, this book had nearly every concept covered which I needed to study.

As a result it contributed to both of my graded assignments.

It might be heavily detailed but the benefit is that it provides something for every research student.

The book is well structured, nicely presented and provides in-depth focus on important topics.

Highly Recommended.

(Just remember that you should refer to numerous books rather than this one alone, if you want to get good marks).
on 21 April 2015
No complaints. The book was actually in a better condition than I expected according to the description. It just took longer to arrive than I expected. Nearly two weeks. I have been spoiled with past purchases normally arriving in less than a week.
on 22 February 2013
It is useful for my study. I have to use it before I start my essays. It has a good quality so that it is a little heavy.
on 20 February 2013
This book is great for giving an overview of the different types of research.
I would not recommend the book as a stand alone, but as a supplement to more in depth books on i.e. focus groups, qualitative interviews, statistics etc. I have several specialised books, but this book sort of pulls it all together and make sense of it as a whole, which useful for an exam project or master thesis.

I really like that the book in the quantitative section describes straight-to-the-point the basics, and what to use when.
My other statistics book is really thick and you will learn to do all math methods, but you're left with a lack of - which types of statistics to use for what and when, which this book covers. If you want to see how to actually do the statistics I recommend that you buy another book especially for that.
on 20 October 2015
Useful for uni learning material easy to understand recommended
on 8 April 2015
Really helpful for conducting mixed methods research reports
on 10 January 2010
I own a previous edition which I bought for my MBA dissertation a while back. I am now using it extensively for a more general Masters programme in social research. It is an excellent, clear and readable summary of qualitative and quantitative research methods.
on 19 November 2010
A very helpful and pragmatic textbook on business research. This book has been designed from the perspective of the research practitioner with exoteric descriptions, explanations and case studies of research theories and methods. I thoroughly recommend this book
on 8 April 2015
It is in right condition looks very new !!!