on 16 October 2010
This book provides a well presented and clear exploration of the initially daunting world of chemistry. Key concepts are supported graphically with high quality and easy to follow diagrams, whilst, as another reviewer noted,the real world analogies aid in putting more difficult concepts in to perspective. I feel confident in wholeheartedly recommending this book for students of the life sciences, studying at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.
on 23 August 2010
This book is a truly marvellous choice for anyone who embarks on a course of instruction for which they are expected to know some chemistry. The authors' selection of relevant topics is outstanding, both for what is included and for what is omitted. Topics explained are accompanied by very basic help, so that, if you can read but previously studied only Arts subjects, and now need some chemistry background for your new interest in some bioscience, there is no need to lack confidence that you will be able to follow the chemistry.
It's an excellent and interesting book. I sold my first edition and replaced it with the (even better) second edition.
on 29 April 2012
I'm a first year student studying BSc Biomedicine at Birkbeck College, University of London. My summer term module is chemistry and I bought this book on the strength of other Amazon users' reviews. I'm so glad I did. It is infinitely superior to our set textbook (Chemistry: An introduction to general, organic and biological chemistry - Karen Timberlake).

Chemistry for the biosciences: Essential Concepts is a thorough, no-nonsense, well laid-out and comprehensive text that covers all the chemistry you'll need for a biological sciences degree. Unlike a lot of text books, it does not have busy , multicoloured pages with text boxes and photographs all over the place. Instead, the information is clearly presented in two-tone black and blue, making it less visually "busy" and easier to follow. There are call-outs that discuss the material in specific relation to real-word applications and these are surprisingly helpful. The strategically placed "self-check" and "key points" boxes offer an unobtrusive and helpful way to quickly check you've understood the last few concepts. There is a modest but perfectly adequate, useful online resource centre that allows you to download figures from the text book and has short multiple-choice tests for each chapter.

What I like most of all about this book though is that it treats you like an adult, without being in any way unforgiving on the less confident student. I often find the experience of reading text books akin to wading through treacle - this book is different: clear, concise, accessible and affordable, it is a worthy addition to your bookshelf and probably the only book you'll need on chemistry for your biology degree.
on 6 December 2011
As a science graduate wanting to go back to sudying science and as a science teacher, I would like to say how impressed I am with this book- in short- it is brilliant! If you are stuck at any point in your degree- this is your answer. I will be mentioning this book to my A level students as they leave for university.
on 13 December 2010
I cannot rave enough about this book. I have spent months being utterly mystified on an Open University undergraduate chemistry course and I finally dropped out. I wish I had had this book at the time! Concepts that seemed completely incomprehensible are explained with everyday examples and suddenly everything becomes easy and perfectly logical - it is true, chemistry does make sense! This book is undoubtedly one of the best textbooks I have ever seen. I only wish I had found it sooner!
on 13 March 2014
I am now in my third year of a BSc in Life Sciences and when I started it had been about 8 years since my GCSE chemistry lessons.

This book is absolutely fantastic. I have never read any other book on this subject that is so easy to understand whilst going into a good amount of detail.

It is so good that I have just bought the third edition! I read this like I would read a fiction novel, it's that good.
on 15 March 2012
This book is a great buy for anyone planning to refresh their knowledge of general chemistry with a biology/organic chemistry twist added to it. I am using it to study for a med entrance exam and it is quite handy in familiarising complex chemistry concepts. Only downside is that the book does not offer end of chapter review questions within the text and can only access them online. Still a great buy.
on 26 August 2012
Fantastic, very basic and easy to follow. I am a nursing student without a science background so I felt I was at a disadvantage to some of the other students. I feel this book has really helped me fill in the gaps in my knowledge. The layout is perfect for even the most basic knowledge. Very good, I would seek out books like this in the future.
on 6 October 2013
I am studying for my MSc, after completing my undergrad in the biomedical sciences. I am now studying a lot more biochemistry than previously and I haven't studies proper pure chemistry since my A level.This book was a suggestion for me on Amazon, and other reviews were good so I purchased it. I am not disappointed! I do find its more basic than I need, but builds up to a good level. That's not a problem because it's always best to start from what you do remember and work you way up!All subjects start off at a high school/college level of chemistry, and build up nicely with good analogies, examples and annotations to really aid memory. I feel like this book is not only good for students or professionals, but also for people who have a slight interest in chemistry that want to find out more about it.
on 22 November 2011
A well illustrated and descibed book. The biological references mostly help and always add the necessary pictures. I would highly recomment this to anyone studying for Oxbridge.