5.0 out of 5 stars An authoritative text
Published on 20 April 2011 by J. H. Bretts

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor formatting.
Published 22 months ago by Charlotte

5.0 out of 5 stars An authoritative text, 20 April 2011
J. H. Bretts "jerard1" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Selected Poems: with parallel German text (Oxford World's Classics) (Paperback)
This is a brand new translation of Rilke's poetry, with a really excellent introduction and notes that quote liberally from Rilke's letters and other prose. The choice of poems is spot on, with generous representation from all periods. The original German texts are on the left hand pages so you can appreciate Rilke's amazing way with German, while at the same time being able to assess the decisions the translators have made in trying to render the poems into English. In many cases they have eschewed the lyricism of previous translations in an effort to put across as fully as possible the poet's complex intentions. I think they succeed very well in this (the translation of 'Archaic Torso of Apollo' is a particularly good example). If you are looking for a good single volume of Rilke in English this is definitely the one to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars On the text, 9 Jan 2013
I must confess that this review is written partly to negate the 1 Star Kindle versions, and to help bring an awareness the poems truly deserve.

The text is what you could hope for in translated poetry - a parallel text with notes between the original and the English, and given to us by the penned balance of literal and interpretive translation by Susan Ranson and Marielle Sutherland. As is standard for Oxford World Classics, the notes are given neatly at the end so as not to distract us from the reading experience.

But what is that experience? Rilke, the poet famed for his "Letters to a Young Poet" (which might well have been called "Letters from a Young Poet"), is clearly a poet of great worth not only to his native German but to everyone through this ample selection, an experience of a man engaging himself and the world. His advice shown in his Letters take form and flight in his poetry, and we can see him develop and mature. It is a rare experience to be able to see that so clearly in a selection, and Oxford World Classics has delivered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 29 Jan 2014
I don't read German at all but somehow seeing the poems in the original language adds to the enjoyment of the translation even though I can't "read" it. A lot of the beauty of poetry is the pattern of the words on the page and this comes through even in a language that is foreign to me. The poems selected are some of my favourites and the book is fast becoming a favourite

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor formatting., 27 Oct 2012
I've just noticed some of the other reviews; stupidly only just reading them AFTER purchase - but I came here to comment on the poor, poor formatting of the kindle edition of this 'parallel' edition. I second another reviewer's comment on unreadability. I thought it would've be reasonably straightforward to produce a readable book of poems in parallel, but apparently not. There is nothing 'parallel' about it. It makes no sense and I'm so annoyed; I thought I was onto a good thing, because I have to buy as many kindle versions as possible because I'm on my year abroad so obviously I can't amass a huge collection of paperbacks; luggage limits simply don't allow. My kindle was my savour, but now I'm not so sure. My advice to anyone considering the kindle version: don't do it. Buy the paperback, hard-copy. Far easier to read, and you can add post-it notes/annotations far more easily, in my humble opinion.

So annoyed, and usually I love my kindle and everything on it for how practical it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Mar 2014
H. M. Tobe (Rotterdam, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
An excellent edition. Ther selection of the poems is very representative. The parallel texts really helpful. The introduction is very good. I can't judge the kindle edition because I haven't seen it. Maybe poetry should be read from paper and not from a screen.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your money on the Kindle version, 4 May 2012
Mark Hammonds (Marton-in-Cleveland, Middlesbrough United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Whatever the merits of this translation in print, the Kindle version is literally unreadable. There is nothing 'parallel' about the format: the English and German versions are not side by side nor even in sequence. Instead, they are randomly spliced one into the other. It has to be seen to be believed. This is a shameful mess made of the words of a major poet by a reputable publishing house. I bought and returned it within 15 minutes. As for the rating, unfortunately zero or minus stars are not available as an option.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindled anger at the laziness of publishers, 14 Mar 2013
Excellent poems, a great translation, massacred by the publishers of the kindle edition. I have the hard copy but wanted it on my kindle/phone as well to keep with me when i traveled. With poetry, more than anything else, people want to re-read the texts and keep them close. It may be a small niche to the publishers but if they get it right it should be profitable as customers may often be willing to buy multiple formats and (in the case of foreign poetry) multiple translations. The digital version scrambles the original German with the translation in such a way that suggests no human ever looked at it before sending the text off to amazon. It wouldn't take more than an hour to put back in order. Incredible given the troubles publishers claim they are going through at the moment not to even try and engage with the opportunities of the new medium.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless on kindle., 29 Sep 2012
Some reviewers have already pointed this out, but this book, as a kindle version, is literally worthless. It would be easier to eat a steak dinner using a straw than to read the badly spliced, garbled monstrosity that is the electronic copy of this book. Don't try.

5 stars to Rilke himself, who remains brilliant.

Selected Poems: with parallel German text (Oxford World's Classics)
Selected Poems: with parallel German text (Oxford World's Classics) by Rainer Maria Rilke (Paperback - 14 April 2011)
7.69