Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 January 2011
From an SHO's perspective: I found this book really easy to read, concise and helpful. Unlike oxford handbook it is much clearer with more helpful information for clinical work and managing patients. Also a lot more interesting to read!
on 15 July 2009
This book is lively, interesting and focussed, I'm a med student doing my psych rotation and found this book to be a revelation - interesting and aimed at tackling the basics of psych and demystifing them. Great case studies, and unlike so many other concise psych texts its well illustrated and nice to look at! Plus its just a really good read - love the Van Gogh case study in chapter one. Thank you.
on 13 November 2010
This book is beyond excellent. As a medical student, it not only has the right level of detail but is also conveyed in an interesting way with beautiful and easy to remember pictures/tables/diagrams. It is by far one of the best books I have bought during my medical course. I also really like how each topic is separated into 3 parts. first about the disease itself, then scenarios and ways to form questions for interviews (very good for OSCE) and finally clinical cases and extra information. Every friend i've lend it to really loved it themselves and asked where i got it from. Even if you're not into psychiatry, reading this book makes you appreciate the subject and be less intimidated by it. This is the best book you can get for psychiatry.
on 10 July 2009
Psychiatry PRN is the best text book I've read for some time! It is pitched at Medical Students and Junior Doctors but it was also enjoyed by my family, none of whom have any medical training, and all of whom found it accessible, understandable, witty and memorable. The text is broken into chapters covering each of the main psychiatric topics. Each chapter is clearly laid out to maximise different methods of learning. I am a very visual person and the use of visual mneumonics and artists' impressions helps me to remember the salient points of the disorders. Before I started my clinical psychiatric experience the thought of talking to people with psychiatric histories seemed overwhelming and alien. PRN has helped my confidence, and more importantly, my understanding and acceptance of disorders that are still stigmatised by certain areas of society. I hope Psychiatry PRN inspires further 'PRN' publications.
on 16 December 2009
Psychiatry PRN really helped me get through my psychiatry rotation. It is engagingly written and, unlike many medical textbooks, it is an enjoyable read! It contains all the core facts that you need to remember for your exams, clearly presented. It is also really useful for psychiatry OSCEs, as the book helps you focus on your practical technique, and includes excellent OSCE scenarios and extra online osce-related content. Each chapter begins with a quiz, and the content of the book is divided into logical sections and fantastically illustrated, which really helps you to actually remember what you read. I would recommend this book to all medical students, as it is really focussed on helping you to really understand psychiatric conditions, meaning you can get more out of your clinical attachment. Also, importantly, it can give you a fantastic head start with your exams and OSCEs.
on 5 August 2012
I am saddened that I saw the book in my final year of studying mental health nursing and social work. Its amazing. I am still reading and using it. This book is unique. It contains core content for Pyschiatry both in the medical and mental health nursing model. I have developed greatly in clinical and practical skills. Links well theory with practice and certainly gives you a step by step guide to conducting interviews/psychiatric assessments which is the part I love the most.this book is not only limited to doctors but student nurses, social wokers and OTs.
on 11 December 2009
I was shown this book by one of my medical students (I'm a psychiatrist). I was immediatly struck by how well-written it was. It clearly explains all the relevant concepts in a witty and amusing manner, but manages to do this without losing any of the essential information. Nice use of clear tables and great illustrations too. From the way it starts with a case formulation about Van Gogh, to the clear clinical tips sections for each chapter, this is a book that sets out to demystify Psychiatry, something it easily achieves! Highly recommended for any medical student and doctors who want to refresh their Psychiatry knowledge.
on 17 August 2010
I have just completed my third year at medical school and honestly I could not have survived my exams without this book! It is absolutely brilliant for the following reasons

* It goes over the salient topics that you will ever need to go over in psych at medical student level. It highlights the important points and does not overwhelm you with unnesscary details.

* It has an AMAZING section for how to approach psych OSCEs with all the questions that will guarantee you a good mark!

* It offers a FREE online service whereby you can test yourself on the material you have just read thus helping you to consolidate your knowledge even further.

* Its good value for money and does not rip you off!!!
on 25 February 2010
This book is excellent. I'm not in the medical profession at all but bought it as part of some wider research - it's really well written and very easy to navigate. I haven't found the language intimidating or obscure - of course I've had to look things up because it's not my field but the layout and design is engaging and helpful.
I recently was looking up some cognitive stuff with regards to the behaviour of an elderly relative and this book was excellent - there are clear sections about symptoms and possible outcomes and progressions.
Highly recommended - practical, useful, clear, informed and fascinating!
on 27 November 2012
I'm a third year medical student at KCL and am currently on my Psych rotation at the hospital. Psych PRN is the best textbook for undergraduate students hands down!! What is great is that the introduction is thorough and clear. Each section has some standard textbook knowledge which is well written. But for me what makes this textbook the best one out there is that at the end of each section, there are step by step questions that can be asked to patients in both osce exams and real life on the wards.

A massive well done to all the editors and writers. A special mention to Dr Sarah Stringer who also runs the amazing Extreme psychiatry course for students.

For a student short on money, I can definitely say that this is the best purchase that I have ever made!!!!