5.0 out of 5 stars From an SHO's perspective
From an SHO's perspective: I found this book really easy to read, concise and helpful. Unlike oxford handbook it is much clearer with more helpful information for clinical work and managing patients. Also a lot more interesting to read!
Published on 29 Jan 2011 by Vicky

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but...
Psychiatry PRN follows in the footsteps of the Burton textbook of psychiatry which brings in the arts and humanities to provide a broader and more stimulating account of psychiatric principles and practice. This is a very good idea but only insofar as it does not come at the detriment of the quantity and clarity of the hard facts required to pass exams. Unfortunately,...
Published on 15 Jun 2011 by Francis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars From an SHO's perspective, 29 Jan 2011
This review is from: Psychiatry PRN: Principles, Reality, Next Steps (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars At last - an interesting concise basic psychiatry book for med students!, 15 July 2009
James Dove "JD" (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is lively, interesting and focussed, I'm a med student doing my psych rotation and found this book to be a revelation - interesting and aimed at tackling the basics of psych and demystifing them. Great case studies, and unlike so many other concise psych texts its well illustrated and nice to look at! Plus its just a really good read - love the Van Gogh case study in chapter one. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Psychiatry text available!, 10 July 2009
Psychiatry PRN is the best text book I've read for some time! It is pitched at Medical Students and Junior Doctors but it was also enjoyed by my family, none of whom have any medical training, and all of whom found it accessible, understandable, witty and memorable. The text is broken into chapters covering each of the main psychiatric topics. Each chapter is clearly laid out to maximise different methods of learning. I am a very visual person and the use of visual mneumonics and artists' impressions helps me to remember the salient points of the disorders. Before I started my clinical psychiatric experience the thought of talking to people with psychiatric histories seemed overwhelming and alien. PRN has helped my confidence, and more importantly, my understanding and acceptance of disorders that are still stigmatised by certain areas of society. I hope Psychiatry PRN inspires further 'PRN' publications.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best psychiatry book for medical students, 16 Dec 2009
L. McCall-Smith (London) - See all my reviews
Psychiatry PRN really helped me get through my psychiatry rotation. It is engagingly written and, unlike many medical textbooks, it is an enjoyable read! It contains all the core facts that you need to remember for your exams, clearly presented. It is also really useful for psychiatry OSCEs, as the book helps you focus on your practical technique, and includes excellent OSCE scenarios and extra online osce-related content. Each chapter begins with a quiz, and the content of the book is divided into logical sections and fantastically illustrated, which really helps you to actually remember what you read. I would recommend this book to all medical students, as it is really focussed on helping you to really understand psychiatric conditions, meaning you can get more out of your clinical attachment. Also, importantly, it can give you a fantastic head start with your exams and OSCEs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book of all medical books bought, 13 Nov 2010
This book is beyond excellent. As a medical student, it not only has the right level of detail but is also conveyed in an interesting way with beautiful and easy to remember pictures/tables/diagrams. It is by far one of the best books I have bought during my medical course. I also really like how each topic is separated into 3 parts. first about the disease itself, then scenarios and ways to form questions for interviews (very good for OSCE) and finally clinical cases and extra information. Every friend i've lend it to really loved it themselves and asked where i got it from. Even if you're not into psychiatry, reading this book makes you appreciate the subject and be less intimidated by it. This is the best book you can get for psychiatry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Psychiatry textbook, 11 Dec 2009
I was shown this book by one of my medical students (I'm a psychiatrist). I was immediatly struck by how well-written it was. It clearly explains all the relevant concepts in a witty and amusing manner, but manages to do this without losing any of the essential information. Nice use of clear tables and great illustrations too. From the way it starts with a case formulation about Van Gogh, to the clear clinical tips sections for each chapter, this is a book that sets out to demystify Psychiatry, something it easily achieves! Highly recommended for any medical student and doctors who want to refresh their Psychiatry knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, precise and written with care, 25 Feb 2010
N P (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is excellent. I'm not in the medical profession at all but bought it as part of some wider research - it's really well written and very easy to navigate. I haven't found the language intimidating or obscure - of course I've had to look things up because it's not my field but the layout and design is engaging and helpful.
I recently was looking up some cognitive stuff with regards to the behaviour of an elderly relative and this book was excellent - there are clear sections about symptoms and possible outcomes and progressions.
Highly recommended - practical, useful, clear, informed and fascinating!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is truly amazing., 5 Aug 2012
I am saddened that I saw the book in my final year of studying mental health nursing and social work. Its amazing. I am still reading and using it. This book is unique. It contains core content for Pyschiatry both in the medical and mental health nursing model. I have developed greatly in clinical and practical skills. Links well theory with practice and certainly gives you a step by step guide to conducting interviews/psychiatric assessments which is the part I love the most.this book is not only limited to doctors but student nurses, social wokers and OTs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for medical students, 1 Dec 2009
Whui W. Lim - See all my reviews
I first decided to get this book when friends recommended it to me after I was a little put off by the boring wordy prose of some psychiatry textbooks. However, this book provided a very much needed fresh and reader-friendly view on psychiatric conditions and I can safely say that I have read Psychiatry PRN from cover to cover. With all the illustrations and interesting case studies at the end of every chapter, it makes learning each condition enjoyable and easy. Psych PRN is definitely a valuable must-have for all students on their psychiatry rotation(it sure was my companion even during ward rounds) as it covers all that we need to know in a concise and fun way. The mnemonics provided by the authors are extremely helpful and easy to remember and each chapter is brilliantly and thoughtfully written. I would definitely recommend this to all who are still wavering on which psychiatry textbook to buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Psychiatry Made Simple, 11 Sep 2010
This is simply the best book out there on psychiatry. I've worked in a Forensic Medium Secure Unit and at present in a Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit and this book is so amazing- it makes assessments so simple. I've been fortunate to have met Dr Stringer and she is probably the best psychiatric doctor I've come across. If any one is interested in psychiatry, this IS the book to buy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Psychiatry PRN: Principles, Reality, Next Steps
Psychiatry PRN: Principles, Reality, Next Steps by Sarah Stringer (Paperback - 5 Mar 2009)