5.0 out of 5 stars The most brilliant collection of short stories ever
Published on 29 April 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars A customer
I thought some of the choices were strange, I relished the Dickens ghost story but it turned out not to be one of his finest hours. It definitely improved with the choices on the more modern pieces, especially Huxley and Carter. Would recommend it, not a bad collection at all, overall.
Published 14 months ago by MzBookMuncher

5.0 out of 5 stars The most brilliant collection of short stories ever, 29 April 2000
By A Customer
This book is amongst the most entertaining books I have ever read. It contains a wide range of subjects and styles ranging from P. G. Wodehouse's "The Reverent Wooing Of Archibald" to "A Widow's Quilt" by Sylvia Townsend Warner. The book alows the reader to choose his or her story according to mood or prefernence and thus makes for a very good thing. It is the wide range of storie and authors in the book that really make it so great. A. S. Byatt has selected the choicest morcels of litterary brilliance and added them all into this great collection. Thoughly worth a read or two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short stories but long on veriety and enjoyment, 6 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Oxford Book of English Short Stories (Oxford Books of Prose & Verse) (Paperback)
"Who's your favourite book writer, granddad?" That's the question my 8yr old granddaughter asked me when she'd hinted that she was going to get me a book for my birthday. I'm really glad that my reply was somewhat `vague' in that I remember telling her that I liked so many authors, classics and modern, and that I would ideally like to read `something from everybody'. It seems my granddaughter took me literally and presented the Oxford Book of Short Stories to me on my birthday - and what a treat it's turned out to be. Wonderful, 37 stories from the 19th & 20th centuries' authors ranging from Dickens, Woolf, Woodhouse, Wells, Lawrence, Kipling, Greene and many others, some of which I'm reading for the first time.

The stories themselves are a wonderful selection, Byatt should be commended on her choice; Byatt tells us that her "... only criterion was that [the] stories ... should be startling and satisfying, and if possible make the hairs on the neck prickle with excitement aesthetic narrative". I think she's managed this.

As a rule I read a few stories each night before going to bed which resulted in about 2 weeks of very, very enjoyable reading - I fully recommend this anthology to anyone and everyone, and it's hard for me to imagine anyone getting the same level of enjoyment for the price paid for the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 14 May 2013
J. Purnell - See all my reviews
Great introduction to English literature. Mainly 19th and 20th century though there is at least one from the 17th.
Reading this one can understand why its often said that literature is one of England's strong points.

My favorite so far is the PG Woodhouse....

3.0 out of 5 stars A customer, 11 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent selection of stories, 1 April 2013
This is a good book to pick up and read on holiday or at bedtime. All stories are short, some very short. All are good. My own favourite is "At Hiruharama" by Penelope Fitzgerald. But the variety is such that there is something for everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Collection, 7 Jan 2012
A wonderful collection from lots of varying authors, and a nice size aswell. My mum was very pleased with it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Short stories are not easy, 2 July 2013
I liked most of the stories but defenitely not all. I expect this relies on taste and subject. Some short stories are longer than others which is ok but the shortest one was really short.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Book of English Stories, 24 Dec 2012
Sorry but could not tell anyone to buy this, the first story I think is the best and then it just seems to wander on and on, but this is only my view, others at my book club liked it

The Oxford Book of English Short Stories (Oxford Books of Prose & Verse)
6.99