5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable work of clarity and brevity, 20 April 2010
Ghostgrey51 (Britain) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Oxford Companion to Cosmology (Oxford Quick Reference) (Paperback)
Cosmology is not one of those subjects which allows itself to be taken up lightly. Not only is there a universe, comprising, for instance literally billions galaxies (in clusters and super-clusters), black holes, dark energy and dark matter; there is the question of The Beginning, The Concept of its size and the contemplation of The End; the constituent particles which makes up the matter, and the possibility of other universes, and quite frankly I haven't even begun.
So I am very grateful to Oxford University Press and authors Andrew Liddle and Jon Loveday for successfully compiling a compact, easy to read and efficiently cross-referenced work on such an immense subject. From a definition of the Universe itself, down to explanations of the fundamental particle the quarks, each subject is described in a clear and concise way, with an impressive number of illustrations and photographs. There are also excellent small biographies of notables such as Eisenstein, Hoyle and Zel'dovich.
Now I admit I struggle a bit with some items on the theoretical particles, the various items relating to other possible universes and Planck Scales, but seeing as how I have no grounding in the relevant physics or mathematics then that's my problem for venturing there, and the joy of this book is after a few careful readings of the relevant passages I am beginning to get a clearer perspective.
Also one of the delights of reading the various passages is coming across snatches of humour, some of it self-deprecating of the Study and those involved, which makes us with just an interest but no relevant qualifications feel a lot better about ourselves.
Overall you can pick this up this volume and dive in wheresoever you wish, then be prepared to be transported off on a journey of cross-referencing (but try and concentrate on the one subject you started with- I don't, so many interesting things to read about).
Ideal for many; for those who have simply asked `How?' or `Why?'; for students hoping to enter the field and of course those with serious interest either amateur or professional.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and readable, 5 Feb. 2013
Mrs. S. Thorne (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my husband as a Christmas present - he has a scientific background. He found it an excellent read with clear definitions. However, he said the entries are somewhat repetitous and could have been reduced in length by more careful cross-referencing..

5.0 out of 5 stars I keep this on my desk at all times, 21 Aug. 2013
Dr. S. A. Mitton "Simon Mitton" (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
I am an academic historian of science and my speciality is the history of astronomy in the 20th century. This Oxford Companion is an excellent one-stop reference. It has plenty of small illustrations. Importantly for me the book has many pen portrait biographies of astronomers.

First sentence: "The universe is a big place so it's nice to have a guide to help you find your way around" I agree. The book is suitable for lay readers as a bridge from popular science accounts and the academic literature. It is not suitable for outright beginners

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 5 July 2013
very well packaged, no signs or marks within the pages, a hard cover would be more fascinating, but unfortunately is too expensive
anyway, pretty interesting

The Oxford Companion to Cosmology (Oxford Quick Reference)
The Oxford Companion to Cosmology (Oxford Quick Reference) by Jon Loveday (Paperback - 9 April 2009)