Format: Hardcover|Change

on 20 January 2012
Fantastic book. The best thesaurus I've ever come across, without a shadow of a doubt. I wholeheartedly recommend this book, you will not be disappointed.
on 29 December 2009
How did I ever manage without it? A well produced and organised comprehensive thesaurus. I find it hard not to get side-tracked from my intended search each time I use the volume because something else interesting always catches my eye. A great investment that will serve for years.
on 13 January 2010
I've been using Collins Thesaurus of the English Language: Complete & Unabridged to support my writing (me edition was published in 1996) for years now, with my version called Collins Roget's Thesaurus. Having bought this Oxford version for my other office, I prefer the Collins approach.

Collins' Index at the back is more comprehensive and refers you to clearly numbered sections at the front, divided into Categories, where a vast range of words and idioms is offered. The Oxford, in contrast, simply has a dictionary style listing words and phrases, with all the words and a few idioms listed after each one. Cross referencing is harder, although Oxford tries to make it easier by offering Word Links which are altogether too limited. There's an odd section slap bang in the middle called a Word Toolkit, which is pretty futile.

The first word I looked up in the Oxford was "you", and it wasn't there.

In contrast, Collins refers me to 864.5 where there were a dozen alternative words and idioms along with other conjugations. Also in the dictionary of Collins, along with "you", were four idioms sending me to other sections of the Thesaurus. Overall, then, Collins offers a far more extensive selection and the Thesaurus itself is set out in a way which prompts further exploration. And at a fiver less than the Oxford (in Jan 2010) it's better value, too.
55 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 2010
Just the reference we needed for my daughter who is eleven, complete enough to serve and catch the interest of the rest of the family and at a good Amazon price ! Happy
on 30 December 2009
I really like this great, useful book. It has changed the way I use language, which I have found useful - and that's great for a writer! I found its layout useful, and the clarity of the text was great - I liked that. It is useful to be able to find synonyms using alphabetical order, a great idea. It can even be useful when trying to think of synonyms to solve a crossword. All in all this book has been of great use to me changing the way I write, and I greatly recommend it.
77 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2010
We have been using an old Thesaurus for years and it was really getting "tatty" SO decided to buy a new edition !
Really excellent and much updated. Would not be without it 1
on 16 February 2011
I purchased this Thesaurus because I am studying for several diplomas which require answers to be written in ones own words, unfortunately the words used in the questions or examples are often the words I would have used in my answers, so this book has been so very useful in helping me in my studies to find alternative words with the same meaning.
Its very easy to use and clearly presented.
I'd recommend it to anyone studying or just to expand ones vocabulary.
on 10 January 2013
Perfect quality and condition!
Love this book, just what needed to do my writing, and cannot go wrong with this to improve the knowledge of the English Language and broad the vocabulary
on 30 April 2013
Not only is this not a proper Roget's thesaurus, it is also a very bad thesaurus. What a waste of money.

Looking at reviews, I decided to buy the £30 Oxford University Press thesaurus, conscientiously avoiding buying it on Amazon for £19.40 but instead choosing to patronise my local bookshop, because I really don't want to support a company that is taking over just about everything and refusing to pay tax in this country.

I thought if it cost that much money, it must be good. Yes, I really am that naive. Touching, isn't it?

My local bookshop was very pleased, but when my book arrived, two days later, I was not. In the end, I had to take it back. Thing is, it was a conventional thesaurus, and this is when it dawned on me the difference between one of these and a Roget's.

I realised that I vastly prefer the latter, in the form of my much-loved old edition, because it is based on a system of categorising human knowledge devised by Peter Mark Roget.

Roget was an amazing man, who also invented, amongst many other things, the log-log slide rule and was co-founder of the University of London. Apparently he was also, like his contemporary Wordsworth, an aficionado of psilocybin (magic mushrooms) and used it to treat his depression.

His other self-administered treatment was making lists, and his longest list ended up as the Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases Classified and Arranged so as to Facilitate the Expression of Ideas and Assist in Literary Composition (which also might qualify for one of the longest book titles ever), whose first edition was published in 1852.

A Roget's is fantastic if you don't just want a synonym for word, which is more or less what a thesaurus provides, but also to access other words that exist in a similar or related category.

For example, you might find that 'threnody' is a synonym for 'elegy' in a conventional thesaurus, but in a Roget's you'd also get lists of other kinds of literary forms.

To use a Roget's thesaurus you look up a word in the back. This gives you several possible meanings for that word, if you like, the synonyms. Alongside these are numbers, which you then look up in the main body of the book.

Here, you will find a host of words and phrases which exist in the same knowledge category, linked to other entries for related categories.

This is where this Oxford edition falls flat on its expensive dust jacket. For instance, I looked up 'dress'. In that entry there were just three synonyms for dress, none of which was 'skirt'.

When I looked up 'skirt', it provided only synonyms for the verb 'to skirt', and nothing corresponding to the noun. No mention of dresses!

There were many other examples, but take my word for it, this book is not worth the substantial amount of paper it's printed on. Its only distinguishing feature is a section in the middle which provides lists of words you might want to use if you want people to think you are smart. It is a magnificent example of 'dumbing down'.

Its design makes great use of white space, whereas my Longman Roget's, although in 11 point and perfectly readable, is dense with type, to provide space for as many words as possible.

Of course, there is a thesaurus on your computer, and there is always [...], but, like I say, these are just dictionaries of synonyms.

In effect, a Roget's is like an early version of hypertext. If Roget was around now, he would, I'm sure, be working in HTML5.

So I'm still looking for the perfect, up-to-date edition of Roget's thesaurus. There might be something wrong with me, but I do enjoy browsing through it for the hell of it, just to find trails of new words.

There are various more recent editions on the market from different publishers, but you can't tell by looking online how good they are, and I live over 100 miles from a bookshop sufficiently large to stock a variety to browse through.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Do you have a favourite edition? Or, indeed, any other favourite writing tools?
on 4 October 2015
Goes with the dictionary I bought a few years ago. Remarkably useful.