Format: Hardcover|Change

on 20 January 2012
Fantastic book. The best thesaurus I've ever come across, without a shadow of a doubt. I wholeheartedly recommend this book, you will not be disappointed.
on 29 December 2009
How did I ever manage without it? A well produced and organised comprehensive thesaurus. I find it hard not to get side-tracked from my intended search each time I use the volume because something else interesting always catches my eye. A great investment that will serve for years.
on 13 January 2010
I've been using Collins Thesaurus of the English Language: Complete & Unabridged to support my writing (me edition was published in 1996) for years now, with my version called Collins Roget's Thesaurus. Having bought this Oxford version for my other office, I prefer the Collins approach.

Collins' Index at the back is more comprehensive and refers you to clearly numbered sections at the front, divided into Categories, where a vast range of words and idioms is offered. The Oxford, in contrast, simply has a dictionary style listing words and phrases, with all the words and a few idioms listed after each one. Cross referencing is harder, although Oxford tries to make it easier by offering Word Links which are altogether too limited. There's an odd section slap bang in the middle called a Word Toolkit, which is pretty futile.

The first word I looked up in the Oxford was "you", and it wasn't there.

In contrast, Collins refers me to 864.5 where there were a dozen alternative words and idioms along with other conjugations. Also in the dictionary of Collins, along with "you", were four idioms sending me to other sections of the Thesaurus. Overall, then, Collins offers a far more extensive selection and the Thesaurus itself is set out in a way which prompts further exploration. And at a fiver less than the Oxford (in Jan 2010) it's better value, too.
55 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 2010
Just the reference we needed for my daughter who is eleven, complete enough to serve and catch the interest of the rest of the family and at a good Amazon price ! Happy
on 30 December 2009
I really like this great, useful book. It has changed the way I use language, which I have found useful - and that's great for a writer! I found its layout useful, and the clarity of the text was great - I liked that. It is useful to be able to find synonyms using alphabetical order, a great idea. It can even be useful when trying to think of synonyms to solve a crossword. All in all this book has been of great use to me changing the way I write, and I greatly recommend it.
77 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2010
We have been using an old Thesaurus for years and it was really getting "tatty" SO decided to buy a new edition !
Really excellent and much updated. Would not be without it 1
on 16 February 2011
I purchased this Thesaurus because I am studying for several diplomas which require answers to be written in ones own words, unfortunately the words used in the questions or examples are often the words I would have used in my answers, so this book has been so very useful in helping me in my studies to find alternative words with the same meaning.
Its very easy to use and clearly presented.
I'd recommend it to anyone studying or just to expand ones vocabulary.
on 10 January 2013
Perfect quality and condition!
Love this book, just what needed to do my writing, and cannot go wrong with this to improve the knowledge of the English Language and broad the vocabulary
on 4 October 2015
Goes with the dictionary I bought a few years ago. Remarkably useful.
on 30 July 2013
This version was much bigger than I had imagined when I ordered it, and therefore very good value. It is exactly what you would expect in terms of content, and made a great gift for our school Language assistants to take back to Europe with them. (Maybe a bit heavy though!)