5.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Thesaurus of English
We have been using an old Thesaurus for years and it was really getting "tatty" SO decided to buy a new edition !
Really excellent and much updated. Would not be without it 1
Published on 20 Dec 2010 by Colin T

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for serious wordies
I recently purchased this Thesaurus and was disappointed to find that there are so many simple words missing.
Published on 3 Jan 2011 by kudos243

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for serious wordies, 3 Jan 2011
This review is from: Oxford Thesaurus of English (Hardcover)
To test a book like this I always look up the word ' sobriquet ' first, not in the main category but eventually found as a description for another word.Also local words like 'nesh'are missing but can be found in another well known thesaurus. These are just two examples there are many more.
The binding is first class and should last many years, it is a great shame that the contents are not nearly as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Thesaurus of English, 20 Dec 2010
Really excellent and much updated. Would not be without it 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reference, 29 Dec 2009
A. Sturley "Tony Sturley" (Telscombe Cliffs, Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford Thesaurus of English (Hardcover)
How did I ever manage without it? A well produced and organised comprehensive thesaurus. I find it hard not to get side-tracked from my intended search each time I use the volume because something else interesting always catches my eye. A great investment that will serve for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 20 Jan 2012
This review is from: Oxford Thesaurus of English (Hardcover)
Fantastic book. The best thesaurus I've ever come across, without a shadow of a doubt. I wholeheartedly recommend this book, you will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good, but Collins is better, 13 Jan 2010
Bristly Badger (Deep underground, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford Thesaurus of English (Hardcover)
I've been using Collins Thesaurus of the English Language: Complete & Unabridged to support my writing (me edition was published in 1996) for years now, with my version called Collins Roget's Thesaurus. Having bought this Oxford version for my other office, I prefer the Collins approach.

Collins' Index at the back is more comprehensive and refers you to clearly numbered sections at the front, divided into Categories, where a vast range of words and idioms is offered. The Oxford, in contrast, simply has a dictionary style listing words and phrases, with all the words and a few idioms listed after each one. Cross referencing is harder, although Oxford tries to make it easier by offering Word Links which are altogether too limited. There's an odd section slap bang in the middle called a Word Toolkit, which is pretty futile.

The first word I looked up in the Oxford was "you", and it wasn't there.

In contrast, Collins refers me to 864.5 where there were a dozen alternative words and idioms along with other conjugations. Also in the dictionary of Collins, along with "you", were four idioms sending me to other sections of the Thesaurus. Overall, then, Collins offers a far more extensive selection and the Thesaurus itself is set out in a way which prompts further exploration. And at a fiver less than the Oxford (in Jan 2010) it's better value, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Thesaurus of English (hardback), 23 Sep 2011
This review is from: Oxford Thesaurus of English (Hardcover)
This book was excellent value,arrived promptly in immaculate condition.It cost me half of what it would have cost to buy in the shops and minus the postage I would have had to have paid when sending to a relative in another city.

5.0 out of 5 stars very, very useful, 30 Dec 2009
This review is from: Oxford Thesaurus of English (Hardcover)
I really like this great, useful book. It has changed the way I use language, which I have found useful - and that's great for a writer! I found its layout useful, and the clarity of the text was great - I liked that. It is useful to be able to find synonyms using alphabetical order, a great idea. It can even be useful when trying to think of synonyms to solve a crossword. All in all this book has been of great use to me changing the way I write, and I greatly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete, fit to purpose, 8 Dec 2010
Atlante (paris, france) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford Thesaurus of English (Hardcover)
Just the reference we needed for my daughter who is eleven, complete enough to serve and catch the interest of the rest of the family and at a good Amazon price ! Happy

5.0 out of 5 stars An indispensable guide, 25 Mar 2010
This review is from: Oxford Thesaurus of English (Hardcover)
An excellent thesaurus with the addition of very useful thematic lists. I find I refer to this far more than my old, much more limited paperback thesaurus. It is also handy for exploring alternative or unusual words with my grandchildren.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful, 16 Feb 2011
sals (oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford Thesaurus of English (Hardcover)
I purchased this Thesaurus because I am studying for several diplomas which require answers to be written in ones own words, unfortunately the words used in the questions or examples are often the words I would have used in my answers, so this book has been so very useful in helping me in my studies to find alternative words with the same meaning.
Its very easy to use and clearly presented.
I'd recommend it to anyone studying or just to expand ones vocabulary.

Oxford Thesaurus of English
Oxford Thesaurus of English by Oxford Dictionaries (Hardcover - 13 Aug 2009)
20.40