Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 November 2009
I ordered this to assist my daughter (9 years old) with her literacy work at school - the benefit of the Dictionary AND Thesaurus was to encourage her use of more descriptive words! The lay out is fab (and so easy to us) ........... find a word and the thesarus is directly under the word! (How easy) Very happy with it.
on 14 July 2012
I bought the Oxford Dictionary & Thesaurus for my ten year old grandson to help him expand his vocabulary. It is beautifully presented and easy to navigate. The letter key index (down the right hand edge of the book) helps enormously to quickly find the section you want. My grandson was familiar with and able to use a dictionary, but found using a separate thesaurus a little bewildering. The Oxford Dictionary AND Thesaurus is an ideal literary tool as each word definition is followed by alternative choices:all in the one place. An ideal gift for any school child (or adult) who needs a little help in developing their literary skills. I highly recommend the Oxford Dictionary & Thesaurus. GrannyBee
on 1 April 2016
My daughter has to sit her 11+ soon, and she needs assistance with her vocabulary. I purchased this dictionary as Oxford are the 'de facto' standard in dictionaries. After each word, the dictionary indicates whether it is a verb, adjective or noun, which is very helpful. The main advantage of
more. this dictionary and its great selling point is that there is a thesaurus (with synonyms) after the definition of the word has been provided. Its important to note that this isn't the case for every word, but I would estimate at least 50 % of the words. It makes logical sense that this occurs, so immediately one can see an alternative word, to the original word being defined. Also examples by way of pertinent sentences are used to illustrate how one of the synonyms would be used. In some cases some words e.g. 'call' are a verb and a noun, and they are each described in turn with synonyms and sentence examples.

The dictionary is easy to navigate, and the words are easy to search. The fonts used and layout are sharp, focused and clear.

With an excellent, easy to follow letter indexing scheme, my children were able to become familiar with it in minutes. The indexing appears on each page (left and right) and has the appropriate letter in a black lower case font, with a grey background. If one actually looks at the fore edge of the book (opposite to the spine) they can easily identify which letters have most words e.g. 'C' and 'S' and those letters with the least words 'K' and 'Q'.

Its not pocket size, but it is still portable to carry around in a bag or rucksack. We find ourselves consulting it, when we are dropping the children of at school, and quizzing our daughter on her daily words. My son are indirect recipient of learning these new words, as they tend to listen and pay attention intently.

Her vocabulary is expanding, and is so is mine. The real test is when she starts to use these new found words in her everyday conversation, and the initial signs are encouraging. I draw up a list of 20 new random words each day, and testing her firstly on the definitions of those words, and then on the synonyms of those words. Her confidence is blooming as a result of using these new found words. One other point, its heartening, when the children take the initiative to look for words of their own volition.

I wholeheartedly endorse this dictionary. It is a fantastic way of expanding one's vocabulary, and is not restricted just to children. Adults will find that they learn a lot of new words, which they will incorporate into their everyday lexicon. At £ 3.99, its a steal.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 11 April 2012
I'm start college in September of this year and two of my subject are english lit and english lang so i thought i needed to be buying a dictionary- not just that, i needed to expand on my vocabulary drastically. I bought this because it had a thesaurus as well and the price was decent; and i can say i have had no problems with it- it fulfills it's purpose! Fast delivery by the service! All around a happy customer!:-)
on 12 November 2009
Ordered this for my 8 yr old daughter and was pleasantly surprised with the layout...found easy to use and the combined meaning and thesaurus...works very well.Have to say...daughter initially felt dictionary own its own was better option...but since using few times... has familiarised with the format and is now very happy with it.

Downside in terms of content ...none...accept being paperback the binding and cover crease quite easiy on the corners....but at this price and combined with fast delivery from Amazon ...excellent value!

All homes should have one ..very useful for one and all...
on 21 January 2010
great value for money, as was considerably cheaper than in the shops.
great delivery aswell
overall 10 out of 10!
on 23 February 2011
A dictionary-come-thesaurus will never exactly set ones pulse racing with excitement, however if you are in the market for a point of reference for most common (and many un-common) words, this book may just fit the bill. It would be a pretty good buy as a stand-alone dictionary, but the added element of the thesaurus makes this a very good buy indeed. Good coverage yet small enough to carry around. Put it this way - if I lost my copy I would immediately buy the same again.
on 24 November 2014
Very good arrangement here. Can look up word and get meaning. The thesaurus part for that word is directly underneath. You don't have to go to a different section or book. Really user friendly for all ages.
on 3 December 2015
A good dictionary, and so helpful to have the Thesaurus entries with the dictionary definitions, although they are only for certain words, hence four stars not five. I bought it for my 9-year-old grand-daughter and she loves looking up unfamiliar words in it., I was so impressed that I then bought one for myself. Have yet to find a word that is not included in this dictionary. For the price it is amazing value.
on 9 January 2012
This book doesn't contain every word, but the common ones my son appears to be coming up against in Y3 & Y4. He particularly struggles with adjectives and he has found this book really useful. Not only does he use it to look up words for their definition, but the thesaurus section directly under the definition helps him understand the meaning a lot more quickly. Very useful.