on 21 September 2000
I would not have considered this book but for its inclusion on my reading list for university, and had this been so I would have missed a rewarding text. Boehmer collates a diverse range of material here, in the form of poems, extracts and short pieces of fiction, travel writing, history and even textbook pieces. they offer a slice of the time, displaying the unbelievably arrogant at racist attitudes of the time without being critical. all aspects of the period are included - every imperial nation; domestic, military, religious areas of life and so on. this gives an unparalleled feel for the time. boehmer's editing is comprehensive - notes are excellent, references complete, and there are even biographies of the authors included. there are some dud pieces in my opinion, but in such an sll-encompassing anthology, this is inevitable. all in all, an enjoyable work, competently executed and varied enough to keep the interest.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again