Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 September 2009
The masterful translation of this work is RA Nicholson covering 6 large volumes. This translation is more modern and by an Afghan who therefore being a Native speaker might be expected to be more sympathetic to the musicality of Rumis native tongue. Whatever the merits of his Persian language interpretation, there is by comparison to Nicholsons translation a great deal lost in the transition to English.
The Iambic pentameter form seems to restrain the natural flow to such an extent that it is often a distraction to the reader detracting from the content of Rumis poetry.
His choice of words in attempting to remain faithful to the system of rhythming couplets results in an unbearable clumsiness at times. All in all this is at times still a lovely read but no match for Nicholson's timeless work.
A fantastic poetic translation. Inspired and accessible yet retaining the 'mystical' aura of the original:
"Whoever hides his dream,
Attains it sooner through the Lord Supreme"
A light shines out of this book. I don't know how but it does. Buy it and see for yourself.
on 26 August 2010
this has to be one of the best book i have read it was not a easy read because you do have to read it slow and understand, but when you do you will enjoy every second.
on 23 April 2015
From the 1960s I have heard people practically swooning over Rumi. "Have you read Rumi ? You should read Rumi ! Yeah man, he's something else! Far out!" etc.. Now Gladys was never one to follow the herd. A couple of months ago a friend offered for me to read her newly acquired copy of Maznavi. The next day,on the net, a Sheikh I can respect mentioned the first lines of Maznavi about the qalam (reed) (pen in classic Arabic) just after I had read these lines myself. OK. So now I am hooked!
It's different. Quirky. Sometimes just quaint stories, sometimes funny, sometimes profound, always changing, most definitely food for thought, sometimes sad. I do take it in small doses partly because the translator's decision to keep to rhyming couplets means he has to jiggle the word order to fit and often I have to read it twice. This however is part of the fun and I'm extremely happy to be reading Rumi at last. The Qur'an it ain't, whatever they say, but there are far more echoes and tributes to it than are mentioned in the notes. I suggest buying book one, money well spent for both insights into the richness of Rumi's culture and personal enjoyment.
on 13 September 2009
This is book is seated next to our pillow it is so dear to us,such an essential life skill book that everyone must carry with themselves.It is so relevant to anybody seeking to improve their success factor & interpersonal skills that we feel the govt should make it part of the GCSE & A'level curriculum.When we discovered these books of nobility & wisdom we wondered to ourselves ''where have we been all these years not reading these scriptures?''.For those devoted buy the 2nd volume also.
on 25 February 2016
nice clean copy. speedy delivery
on 25 December 2015
A must read for Sufi lovers
on 7 January 2014