Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 November 2010
I'm not the type to sit around reading the dictionary, but this is irresistable, from just randomly dipping into or the "why do we use that phrase and where does it come from" type inquiry. Often checking one word will take you into others and before you know it, you are sitting around reading the dictionary...
on 29 November 2011
If you enjoy words and appreciate the richness of the English language, then this is a great reference book to keep at hand either to look up the derivation of some specific word or phrase or simply to dip into and browse. My wife and I use it frequently to find out the origins of words, terms, items or sayings we use or come across in the newspaper or books, and it generally has everything, with a brief but clear explanation of origin and how it came to have the current meaning. We use it and enjoy it more than we had imagined we would when we bought it and recommend it pretty much without reservation (other than wishing it was even larger and even more detailed!). It's certainly worth the price.
on 23 October 2015
I love this book!Anyone has any interest in language would or should enjoy it.The origins of french,latin and 'roots' of words make you look at english from a slight angle and have better understanding of it.
on 24 March 2015
Absolutely fascinating as I have a real interest in language. Great companion to Oxford dictionaries of Proverbs and Idioms which I already have.
on 8 February 2015
Arrived in good time and is what I wanted. Thanks, James
on 17 July 2013
Inexpensive little gift, ideal for those that have an inquisitive nature and an interest in the English language. Buy it.
on 18 November 2013
A very interesting book, it was just what I was looking for! It's neither too heavily academic nor too amateurish.
on 15 February 2014
I received the Book today, opened it at a random page... and fell in love with it. What a wonderful book!
on 29 June 2013
Gave as a Christmas present. A real talking point. Interesting to hear where our amazing, but sometimes weird, language originated.
on 4 December 2015
Great as a present full of interesting word facts.