5.0 out of 5 stars a fun read
I'm not the type to sit around reading the dictionary, but this is irresistable, from just randomly dipping into or the "why do we use that phrase and where does it come from" type inquiry. Often checking one word will take you into others and before you know it, you are sitting around reading the dictionary...
Published on 17 Nov 2010 by greengerm

It's not quite what wanted but it's ok as I said and if you insist on lots more words then I won't be doing these again!
Published 13 months ago by Ms. F. H. Bowie-macdonald

5.0 out of 5 stars a fun read, 17 Nov 2010
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary of Word Origins (Oxford Paperback Reference) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and fascinating!, 29 Nov 2011
J. C. Henderson "jchenderson4" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
If you enjoy words and appreciate the richness of the English language, then this is a great reference book to keep at hand either to look up the derivation of some specific word or phrase or simply to dip into and browse. My wife and I use it frequently to find out the origins of words, terms, items or sayings we use or come across in the newspaper or books, and it generally has everything, with a brief but clear explanation of origin and how it came to have the current meaning. We use it and enjoy it more than we had imagined we would when we bought it and recommend it pretty much without reservation (other than wishing it was even larger and even more detailed!). It's certainly worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 15 Feb 2014
S Petrov "Stan" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I received the Book today, opened it at a random page... and fell in love with it. What a wonderful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 18 Nov 2013
A very interesting book, it was just what I was looking for! It's neither too heavily academic nor too amateurish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting little book, 17 July 2013
Inexpensive little gift, ideal for those that have an inquisitive nature and an interest in the English language. Buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 29 Jun 2013
Gave as a Christmas present. A real talking point. Interesting to hear where our amazing, but sometimes weird, language originated.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Dictionary of Word Origins (Oxford Paperback Reference), 13 July 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Too lightweight for me, 17 April 2012
Paul Morris "Unclemo" (Ventnor ,England) - See all my reviews
Very disappointed with this.Could have written it myself - didn't learn much at all about the etymology of words.
I guess it's a case of buy cheap get cheap.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Book Care, 15 May 2013
I know this to be an excellent book, but gave it 1 star so that I could use this article to complain about packaging of books by Amazon. It was part of a combined order of books worth over 100 contained in a woefully inadequate box which arrived badly torn and waterlogged, the contents being damaged. I doubt whether I'll use this company again

Oxford Dictionary of Word Origins (Oxford Paperback Reference)
Oxford Dictionary of Word Origins (Oxford Paperback Reference) by Julia Cresswell (Paperback - 9 Sep 2010)
6.99