5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 2 Feb 2011
This review is from: Rome (Oxford Archaeological Guides) (Paperback)
I am going on a trip to Rome this year, and my main reason is to see the amazing hystorical remains. I bought this book because it had been recommended in the BBC History magazine, and I was not disappointed. I found it easy to read and understand (I have no formal history education) and very informative. It starts with a history of Rome, and then explains architectural styles. It gives information on opening times etc of the historical sites - which I found useful in planning my itinery.

I am so looking forward to my trip and this book will have enhanced my experience!

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd had it when in Rome..., 24 April 2013
E. L. Wisty "World Domination League" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Rome (Oxford Archaeological Guides) (Paperback)
This book contains a wealth of information about the archaeological sites of Rome. The breadth of coverage is extraordinary - much more than just the standard tourist sites. I purchased this to follow up after visiting Rome but I really wish I'd had it when I was there. It will tell you much more than the standard tourist guides and even talk about many things which are not identified or spoken of at all in those. Indeed I feel a bit annoyed now that I had not known about some of these things which were once right in front of my face or under my feet whilst I was actually standing there.

The diagrams are not necessarily ideal - black and white line drawings - but they're more than adequate. It's quite a chunky book so far from being something to slip into a pocket, more a rucksack. But these are minor drawbacks. It's an excellent work and a must-have for anyone exploring Rome's ancient ruins.

5.0 out of 5 stars The eternal guide to the Eternal City, 17 Jun 2012
Mr. T. Hill "Tom Hill" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rome (Oxford Archaeological Guides) (Paperback)
Oxford Archaeological Guide to Rome. Already had the much treasured original version and the updated one is even better. You can't visit Rome and its archaeological remains without this book, absolutely essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ordinary guide books are great, but lets face it, 7 July 2014
Ordinary guide books are great, but lets face it, going to see ancient Roman sites is a massive part of the attraction of coming to Rome. To make the most of that you're probably going to need a more specific guide and this is it. I really recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 25 April 2014
The most comprehensive archaeological guide to Rome in the English language. Expertly written. The only drawback is that you soon realise that you will need at least a month to visit the sites of ancient Rome. Claridge covers not only the important sites but also many lesser known remains which are essential to anyone interested in archaeology. No other guide to Ancient Rome comes close!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to The antiquities of Rome, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Rome (Oxford Archaeological Guides) (Paperback)
I bought this book in advance of a week in Rome (not my first visit to the city) and found it invaluable. This is a detailed guide purely focused on Roman era monuments and so should not be viewed as a general guide to the city. For anyone with a more specialist interest in the monuments wishing to find out more and to see them in a new light it is however excellent. It covers not only the more obvious sites such as the Forum and Colosseum but also many lesser known remains. Above all I found it fascinating to discover roman buildings and elements which had been reused in later buildings such as medieval or baroque churches. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to have more than a superficial understanding of what they are eyeing when visiting Rome.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rom-in around, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: Rome (Oxford Archaeological Guides) (Paperback)
The book came really quickly and was especially pleased with the quality of the book and the information it gave for the city and archaeology. It had a few more pencil marks than I was expecting, but this didn't impede the reading of it in any way. I would buy from this seller again as it was good value for money, speedy service and a good book!

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone who wants to go deeper, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Rome (Oxford Archaeological Guides) (Paperback)
I used this book for some research I was doing and it was very helpful. It covers all the early sites in Rome, gives excellent descriptions and goes into far more depth than the ordinary guides to the city.

Rome (Oxford Archaeological Guides)
Rome (Oxford Archaeological Guides) by Amanda Claridge (Paperback - 5 Aug 2010)
14.95